Woo hoo - got Beatrice/Jennys marriage cert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woo hoo - got Beatrice/Jennys marriage cert

Some of you kindly tried to help me find the Beatrice who appeared as a 5 years old grand daughter on my Rotherhithe Horstead lot in 1901. Well, no nearer finding her birth cert but I have now got her marriage cert in my sweaty hand. Called Ellen Jane Beatrice Elinor (so aunt was right about who mum was). AND to top that Ive just been looking up info on her husband and woo hoo, several trees on his lot - AND a Lord Mayor of London in direct line. Lovely, Im on the way to having more titles than O.C. at this rate.;)

Heather

Titles???

Red Ken is Lord Mayor of London.

I rest my case.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
      Heather

Titles???

Red Ken is Lord Mayor of London.

I rest my case.

OC
      I thought that "Lord Mayor of London" was the title for the Mayor of the City of London? That's different from Ken's post.

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Oh, girls, now don't fight!

My grandfather ran a picture framer's shop in Stoke Newington Church Street, almost opposite the Library. They had a series of pictures of the mayors at one time and my grandfather used to joke that he'd "framed all the mayors"!

Well done Heather.
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Yes, indeed... Well done, Heather! - and I like your little anecdote, Nell!

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Well, ok, I may not be completely accurate about Red Ken's post, but you get my drift...Lord Mayors can hardly be compared to the ancient seat of the Watkins of Pennoyre, nor the multi-manored Holdens,nor the Counts Deloitte, now can they?

OC

Comment

Ken is Mayor of London

Lord Mayor of London is something to do with the City Guilds and is an honorary post that you can only hold for one year and is elected by members of the Guild (I think). Dick Whittington was Lord Mayor.
              Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

OC - it's clear that your lot have CLASS!

Christine

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                  OC - it's clear that your lot have CLASS!

Christine

I second that, after all Heather often brags about her docker ancestors leaving property and monies.

What was it he was pinching? Spirits or similiar wasn't it Auntie H?
                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                  My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                  My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

LOL, yes Glen but that bloke was the descendant of Sir Walter Acton, so I rest my case. And then there is the Gamages, of Gamage shop fame, came over with the Normans and I understand are related to the Dudleys (Lord Dudley/QE1)

Latest addition is Sir Frederick Hill - woo hoo, a Lord Mayor of London (not class though O.C. they were industrialists, never the less). Ive also just found a one world tree with my bloke in, contacted the guy in the states and he immediately responded and is sending me some photos of this guy who married Beatrice aka Ellen aka Jenny. He said that his aunt remembers this bloke sending his Bentley round to pick her up to take back to play with his kids for the weekend. LOL, I have told him that when said bloke died my Beatrice/Jenny married said young Chauffeur who then fleeced her of her money!

Comment

Oh oh oh, just got some pics from the guy in the states - this is my bloke and his first wife and kids: Im beginning to think it may be worth putting a tree on ancestry now, as my best contacts are coming through that.

Robert Towler (with first wife and family).jpg
                      Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 27-01-08, 13:10.

Comment

Isn't that gorgeous! What a lovely thing to get.

As you say, it does serve as a recommendation for Ancestry trees!

Christine

Comment

Oh, what a lovely photo Heather!

(Despite being only Trade)

OC

Comment

LOL, Boiler makers O.C.!! Nice they included the dog there

What I cant make out is how my Horstead girls coming from lowly lighterman stock managed to nab all these blokes with money???

This is the first guys father:

William Thomas Towler snr.jpg
                            Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 27-01-08, 16:25.

Comment

Working...
                            X