National Archives Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National Archives Question

Is it possible to view a file at Kew, which I think must be there but has not been catalogued?

I cannot seem to find the answer on the NA website.

Thanks
    Last edited by Muggins in Sussex; 26-01-08, 15:25.
    Joan died in July 2020.

What makes you think it's there, and what is it?
    The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
    Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

If it isn't catalogued they won't be able to find it, surely!
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Hi Annswabey and Nell - it's a long, long story, so I'll try to be brief!

I was at the National Archives in Dec looking at the MI5 file of Henry William Wicks who seemingly abducted my late mother's sister from Hove in c.1928 when she was about 6 years old and took her to Germany. Henry Wicks and my aunt made pro-nazi broadcasts to England during WW2, and Wicks was later imprisoned in England for his part in this. According to family rumour, my Aunt was imprisoned in Spandau Jail, but released without charge because her marriage to a German ( a member of the Nazi party) had rendered her a German Citizen.

Anyhow, when I was looking at Wick's MI5 file, there were references to documents about my Aunt, "X" ( I don't name her ijust in case she is still alive) and handwritten notes saying "this document has been moved to the file of "X""

So I would dearly love to see the file of my Aunt (X)

Hope this makes sense

Cheers
        Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Perhaps her file just hasn't been passed on to National Archives - lots haven't. I suppose the sensitivity/secrecy of the contents prevents many from being open to public scrutiny. Will see if I can find anything out and report back!
          Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Have a look at Research Guide 26 on the National Archives website. Lots were destroyed, and lots, as I said before, will not be released

Comment

I wil do, Ann - Thanks

I would dearly love to see this file as I now suspect that Henry William Wicks might have been my grandfather! Not something I would be particularly proud of as he seems to have been a buddy of David Irvine, the Holocaust denier
              Last edited by Muggins in Sussex; 26-01-08, 17:25.
              Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Oh how grim, Muggins!

Comment

Husband has an aged 1st cousin 1nce removed whose first husband was a bodyguard for Oswald Mosley, which is quite bad enough. Especially as this was his mother's cousin on her father's side and her own mother was half-Jewish!

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                    Oh how grim, Muggins!
                    Yes it is grim!!!!

Do you think if the file isn't catalogued, that means it has been destroyed?

Thank you
                    Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Either destroyed or not released, although I think they release more a couple of times a year.

Comment

Thanks, Annswabey

I'll keep looking at new releases, then, just in case

Cheers
                        Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                          Husband has an aged 1st cousin 1nce removed whose first husband was a bodyguard for Oswald Mosley, which is quite bad enough. Especially as this was his mother's cousin on her father's side and her own mother was half-Jewish!
                          Oswald Moseley came from Rolleston on Dove a village very near to me. My FIL lives there.
                          Rolleston Hall, now demolished,was owned by the Moseley family. His father was the Baronet.

Don't think Rolleston is very proud of him although there are loads of memorials to the rest of the family in the local church St Mary's.

Comment

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I am pretty desperate to see this file if poss, and am a bit of a novice so far as the NA is concerned.

Am I right in thinking that the file may well be at Kew, but not available to view until such time as it is released/catalogued?

Thanks
                            Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Why don't you email TNA?

They ought to be able to tell you what the policy was regading keeping/destroying.

My father was in the Civil Service and had to do a regular weeding policy - leaving a representative sample only.

My gut feeling is that, unfortunately it hasn't survived. I would have thought that the information would not have been considered so sensitive that it couldn't yet be released. But if you don't ask, you won't know.
                              Phoenix - with charred feathers
                              Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Will do, Phoenix- thanks for that
                                Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Working...
                                X