Does one surname dominate your tree?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does one surname dominate your tree?

Have you got a particular surname that dominates your tree? Perhaps it started with an unusual surname from a far off marriage that got you sidetracked or is one of your direct lines.

I have followed most lines down from my 6xgrt g/f to the early 1900's and the surname occurs 101 times in my tree of 676 names.

Most of the work is via PR's, and post 1841 events cross referenced through census, bmd index, burial records, wills, military records, medal cards, phone directory listings, residential directories and trade directories etc.

I suppose i should dig deep for some certs to prove one or two brides surnames (lots of "Mary Unknowns" :D:D). I just wonder how far is too far though? On freebmd using an "all types" search for the surname there are only just over 300 records transcribed.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Well, yes, it does depend how far sideways you have researched from your main trunk, as it were.

My own tree is dominated by Holdens, because that is where the bulk of my research has been done, although other names are catching up as I investigate side branches and I now have nearly as many Greens as Holdens.

I get very itchy if I can't find the woman's maiden name, and I am missing only one set of 3 x GGPs because of this.

Depends what sort of tree you want, though - I was perfectly happy with a Holden only tree for years.

OC

Comment

I'm stalled at two of my main lines at around 1800 or so (so many possible marriages i just can't say which ones are possibles never mind stronger contenders). Rural Lincolnshire and the metroplolis of Middlesex c1790-1800 are a pain in the bum.

Another line is Norfolk and they seem to be attached to a village for their whole lives apart from birth (oh how i love Norfolk for having several similarly named villages!!).
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
      My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
      My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

My tree is dominated by 3 surnames. Both my parents names 400 each, then my mothers mother family with almost 300 names, then lots of side branches ranging from about 25 to 85 in numbers for each surname. I have managed to find all of my 3 x gt gr parents (16 family names). My Father's Mothers family are my stumbling block however as I only have about 39 of that name. The main area's are Lincolnshire, Wiltshire, and Gloucestershire. My stumbling block is Warwickshire via Ireland!
        David

I
        Don't always claim to be right, but I'm never wrong.

Comment

I've got hundreds of Lishmans (my paternal grandmother's maiden name). They are mostly side-shoots, either donated by distant cousins or followed through from the censuses.
          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
            My own tree is dominated by Holdens

Really??? lolol

My tree is rather overwhelmed with Buck people, because they came from Dorset and we live only 1½ hrs drive from the "local" CRO!!!

I have also a twig that isn't related.....my little one name study of people called Horniman. I have 140 of them, plus female lines forward, but only about 10 or so are related to me!!

I also have a terrible aversion to women with no maiden name.....I would almost rather leave them and their husband off altogether lol (I don't, but it's sooooo untidy!)

Comment

I have not added all the names but I have made contact with someone researching the descendents of Richard Clifford a 17th Century stone mason in Stow on the Wold of whom I am one. She sends me monthly updates of all the twigs and must have several hundred Cliffords by now. From my own research I find a few names get more enquiries than others particularly if family members emigrated to the U.S.A.
              Anne

Comment

When I first got actively started, I made a major leap almost immediately: my uncles had done quite a bit on my mother's maiden name, CHRISTMAS, and that enabled me to make a join, and a remote cousin kindly gave me a copy of "The Christmas Tree" - a tree, beautifully hand-drafted in the 1970s by John Reeves, of the (mainly Hampshire) Christmas family, going back to the C16, with some probables, unlinked, a bit earlier; I also got in touch with Henry Christmas of the GoONS, who kindly shared some of his work with me. Along with my own research, to complement (and, very occasionally correct) what has been shared with me, I have a lot of CHRISTMASes.

I also have a lot of CHAPMANs - from OH's maternal line - from Devon. Again, I had quite a decent set, but a breakthrough jumped me three generations back and several branches sideways.

I haven't actually counted the incidences of either of the surnames. Because most of my work is on Excel, I can't use the GedCom system to get that kind of info.

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Mine is swamped with Linksons and Bartrams and my irish Dormers are quickly catching up.

Out of my main tree of 1400 the Linksons make up 307, the Bartrams 196 and I've yet to add in the 150+ Dormers

And I've still to add in most of the Canadian and Australian Linksons and the most recent births
                  Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

My paternal grandmother had the uncommon surname of Philbrook and I've kept a record of all Philbrooks I've found - they mostly seem to go back to a family of Philbricks in Great Coggeshall in the early 18th century. I have over 300 Philbricks/Philbrooks.
                    Jenny

Comment

Titchmarsh - have a look on the GEDCOM, they are all mine.....:D

This family bred like rabbits and married eachother, But I can happily say I am not related to Alan Titchmarsh..... Well not yet anyway;)
                      Vikki -
                      Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Comment

My tree mostly has Waterfields in it as there are so many Waterfield researchers - is it in the DNA? The name that I am most interested in is Sudder as I know they come from man one and they are all mine. I think it must me like the quest for the holy grail as I will never know where he comes from but I live in hope!
                        Click here to order your BMD certificates for England and Wales for only £9.25 General Register Office

Do you have camera? Click here to see if you can help Places of Worship

Jacob Sudders born in Prussia c.1775 married Alice Pidgeon in 1800 in Gorelston. Do you know where Jacob was born?

Comment

Originally posted by Pippa Doll View Post
                          The name that I am most interested in is Sudder as I know they come from man one and they are all mine. I think it must me like the quest for the holy grail as I will never know where he comes from but I live in hope!
                          I have a similar situation in one line and I think he made his surname up.
                          I have another with a relatively common surname who crops up on his own out of nowhere
                          I have four families with extremly common names in their areas so beyond a certain date I shall never find out how they are related
                          But that's what makes it such fun, I suppose...
                          To boldly go where no genealogist has gone before....

Comment

Clarksons seem to dominate my tree, mostly Yorkshire, but a few went to Canada.
                            Stella passed away December 2014

Comment

Ooh Stella, are you related to Jeremy? (Clarkson)

My tree has large numbers of Barleys and Appleyards, both tended to have large families & were easy to trace
                              Lynn

Comment

My mothers maiden name of Goodfellow has 82 people and my maiden name of Northey has 79 listed. Next is my maternal grandmothers maiden name of Heal with 73 listed but one branch of that family changed there spelling to Hale when they moved from Somerset to Wales and I've 43 of them.
                                Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

My Gt Grandfather Joseph Butcher married Ann Butcher, no relation, so I have two separate lines of Butchers. So although my tree is not as large as some the Butcher name takes up quite a large percentage!
                                  Sue

Comment

I have 687 individuals and 163 surnames, quite small compared to some others.

109 - Slade - my Dad's ancestors - going back to mid 1700's
                                    32 - Davis - my Dad's mother's family
                                    29 - Escott - my Dad's Gt Grandmother's family
                                    19 - Board - my Dad's grandmother's family
                                    18 - Tanner - some on my Dad's side and some on my Irish mother's side in the USA

67 - Pollard (Irish) - mainly ancestors - and some living - worldwide

33 - Brady (Irish) - mainly ancestors - with a few living in Eire.

1-10 Loads!

1 - UNKNOWN

Seems pathetic when you list them out like that!
                                    teresa

Comment

Alchin, Allchin, Alchorne is mine. Literally hundreds of the blighters. Originally from Sussex, now all over the place. You could say Yesterday the Weald, Tomorrow the World.
                                      Grampa Jim passed away September 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Lynn The Forest Fan View Post
                                        Ooh Stella, are you related to Jeremy? (Clarkson)

My tree has large numbers of Barleys and Appleyards, both tended to have large families & were easy to trace
                                        No Lynn:D Not as far as I know!
                                        Stella passed away December 2014

Comment

Working...
                                        X