Annie Johnston and Robina Johnston - Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annie Johnston and Robina Johnston - Update

On one of the threads re. Scotland's People I mentioned that my grandmother - MARY ISABELLA JOHNSTON - had two sisters that we knew of.

They were Catherine Wishart Johnston (born 1897 Dumfries) and Annie Johnston.

However, on the 1901 census in Glasgow there are my great-grandparents Robert and Isabella Johnston and my grandmother Mary and sister ROBINA.

Robina's birth was 8 March 1899 in Dumfries.

I was wondering if Robina could be Annie (a Scottish alternative name).

BUT NO!

I was looking on Google maps to see where in Glasgow the family was living in 1901 - it was 50 Robson Street in Hutchesontown.

Then I looked on my searches on SP and I had already found (but not viewed) a whole load of births for Annie Johnston - one was for Hutchesontown.

So I have clicked on it - and IT IS Annie!
    Born 19th July 1901 50 Robson Street Glassgow.

Now why did my grandmother never mention Robina? What happened to Robina? Did she die young or did she fall out with the family. Unfortunately there is no one alive to answer my questions.

Perphaps the 1911 census will help.
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Don't you love it when you nhave a break though like that

If it were me, I would have to find out about Robina - I love a good mystery
    Vikki -
    Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Comment

Vikki - I have been looking for her, but I might have to wait for the 1911 census before I get any further, or for SP to be updated with mother's surname.

If Robina died, why didn't my grandmother talk about her - she talked about her sister Catherine who died young (after marriage).
      Elizabeth
      Research Interests:
      England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
      Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

I have exactly the same situation with my grandad born jan 1909. It turns out he had a younger brother Willian born June 1913 and he never mentioned him and neither did any of the family. I cant find a suitable death so roll on the 1911 census..
        He was 4 1/2 yrs old when William was born so surely he would have remembered him?

]

Comment

I wouldn't bank on it! Memories aren't very reliable and children are so egocentric that they are dimly aware there is anyone in the family apart from them.

My own grandfather had 7 siblings and he never talked about any of them - he told my mother that his eldest sister had been killed by a runnaway horse (Grandad would have been less than 4) but never spoke about the 6 he was brought up with.

My father told me his Uncle Lemmy had stayed in Norfolk when in fact he was living a few roads away from Dad when he died in 1922 (Dad would have been 5).

My own grandmother's mother died just a few days after Grannie's 11th birthday. She always said her mother died when she was 7 and that she had no memory of her at all!
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

It's this sort of thing that niggles away at you until you are able to make the next (tiny) step forward!

I've looked at some of my early searches on SP (they keep a record of what you have searched for and what you have viewed) and I've made more progress recently because the initial searches did not bring up all of the results I found on later searches.

So hopefully, further down the line, I'll be able to find out more.
            Elizabeth
            Research Interests:

Comment

Thanks Nell and after reading your post I think your right. I also think he could have blocked it out (if he remembered) because when he was 7 his mum died. It must have been a tough time.

A couple of years later his dad re married a vicious peevish woman who beat him and treated my grandad like a slave.
              He ran away from home after a real nasty beating age 15 and my g grandma took him in and let him have the back room that was no bigger than a cupboard but he was always so grateful to her. Years later in 1932 he married my nan.
              I still think someone in the family would have known though but no one seems to?? Roll on the 1911c lol

]

Comment

Originally posted by Elizabeth Herts View Post
                Vikki - I have been looking for her, but I might have to wait for the 1911 census before I get any further, or for SP to be updated with mother's surname.
                You shouldn't have too long to wait since the birth was 1901.
                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                X