Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with finding John Johnson - Sussex/Lambeth

I’m sorry – this is a bit long.
    I’m trying to find John Johnson, coal merchant.

Sarah Ann/e Johnson married William Edward Wolledge St George the Martyr, Southwark 27/11/1852. Sarah’s father was John Johnson, coal merchant. I’ve found no trace of him on any census.

Sarah’s details from following censi: -
    1861 c1824 Vauxhall (consensus of opinion, transcript says Danshall)
    1871 c1824 Lambeth
    1881 c1822 Lambeth
    1891 c1826 Lambeth
    1901 c1833 London

The most likely 1851 entry is in Deptford St Nicholas HO107/1585 P48 Sarah A. Johnson, servant c1828 transcribed Maersham, but I think it could be Vauxhall. Future husband William is in Deptford St Nicholas on the 1851.

1841 The strongest contender I can find is in Lambeth
    HO107/1057 P14
    Joseph Thomson c1816
    Sarah Thomson c1806
    John Johnson c1821
    Sarah Johnson c1826
    James Johnson c1829
    Clarissa Johnson c1835

I can find no record of a marriage for a Sarah Johnson and Joseph Thomson.

By 1851, son John is living with a Sarah/Susannah/Susan born c1821 Southampton but there are several Sarah/John Johnson and Susan/John Johnson marriages on freeBMD and I have no idea where they married, if indeed they did.

By 1881, Clarissa/Clara is called Dunn and is living with a Harry Dunn. I can find no trace of a marriage for them.

Sarah Thomson and presumed eldest son John were both born Petworth, Sussex.

There is a death of a John Johnson Lambeth 1838, but John and Johnson are both common names.

As far as I can see, my options are to either buy the Petworth Parish Register Transcript CD (£11), or the John Johnson, Lambeth, death certificate – both long shots.

Can anyone see any other possible way forward which I may have overlooked please?
    Gillian
    User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

It might be worth asking if anyone is going to LMA soon. They could peek at Lambeth registers - which I think are indexed - to see if Clarissa's baptism is there. That should confirm whether it was the right family.
    Might be also worth contacting East Surrey FHS (have to declare an interest here!) as our research collection does have various poor law material for Lambeth. A settlement examination for John Johnson might show his origins in Petworth.
    Phoenix - with charred feathers
    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Thank you for those suggestions Phoenix.
      I'll keep an eye out for someone offering LMA look-ups.
      Settlement examinations are fairly unknown territory for me. I only have experience of one - a case where Wells was trying to ship a bigamous wife off to "husband's" Oxford parish. I shall read up on it so that I know what to ask the East Surrey FHS.
      Gillian

Comment

Chichester Record Office will have a set of the Petworth Parish Registers and they can be very helpful.

I will look up the phone number for you.
        Grampa Jim passed away September 2011

Comment

Thanks Grampa Jim - Sussex is totally new territory for me.
          Gillian

Comment

Here it is.

01243 753 600

I have Roots in Petworth too.

Good luck.

Comment

Thank you Grampa Jim. I might be calling on you for help if these Johnsons turn out to be the right ones!
              And, for once, I might have a relevant Record Office I can get to in a day from the island!
              Gillian

Comment

Well if you are going there let me know and we can perhaps link up. I could even pick you up from the Ferry at Portsmouth and take us to Chi as I have a few more Wills to go through when I can find the chance (or energy Lol)

Comment

Thanks for that offer Grampa Jim!

Fingers crossed that I have located the right Johnsons!
                  Gillian

Comment

Is this message still live? Did you find any more out?

Hi, Are you still looking? This is an old message...

There are three Johnson owned businesses listed in Petworth in the 1823 Pigot's Directory of Sussex?Unknown? Johnson, Coal Merchant of Petworth.

William Johnson, Tailor & Draper & Woolstapler of Petworth.

Wm. Johnson, Linen Draper & Druggist of Petworth.

I believe I am related to the Linen Draper and Druggist, as my Johnson's went on to become medical assistant, practitioner and surgeon.
                    Also, the Johnson child I am researching was an apprentice to the Surgeon Roger Turner (of Pentworth Penetentiary fame).

This area is a bit sketchy, but I'm off to Petworth at the weekend to look at the gravestones. I'll photograph them as these sometimes hold clues.

I'm hoping, but not holding out, that they may be related to the famous Dr. John Johnson who has his own marble carving in the parish church.

Originally posted by Just Gillian View Post
                    I’m sorry – this is a bit long.
                    I’m trying to find John Johnson, coal merchant.
                    Sarah Ann/e Johnson married William Edward Wolledge St George the Martyr, Southwark 27/11/1852. Sarah’s father was John Johnson, coal merchant. I’ve found no trace of him on any census.

Comment

Hello Steve and welcome to the forum!

I haven't looked at the Johnsons for ages but have just reread my opening post to try to refresh my memory.

I have a feeling that I found a probable marriage for the 1841 John Johnson c1821 on Ancestry's LMA parish records and that his father wasn't John Johnson, coal merchant, so I hadn't pursued the Petworth possibilities. I let my Ancestry sub lapse for the summer so cannot check that. But now that you have told me of a Petworth Johnson coal merchant in Pigot's 1823, I'll definitely be having another look when I resubscribe later this month!

Thank you for the information!

I hope your cemetery trip is successful!
                      Gillian

Comment

Working...
                      X