*tuts* GRO difficulties.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *tuts* GRO difficulties.......

In all the years I've used the GRO for ordering certs I have never had any problem with them.......but.........

OH got carried away last week :( and ordered a marriage cert.....

He quoted;
    Willliam ROGERS
    Wolverhampton
    Vol 17 Page 352
    Q4
    It was a pity though that he put the year down as 1939 when it should have been 1839 :(

I would have expected that as the rest of the details didn't match, the GRO would have refunded him half the fee (or whatever the ½ amount is) and told him they couldn't find the cert, but that's not what they did.

In Q4 1939 there was no marriage for a William Rogers in Wolverhampton. For some reason the GRO have taken it upon themselves to try Q1 1940, where there is a marriage for a William Edward Rogers in Wolverhampton, but of course the Vol and page number are completely different (6b 352). They have sent this cert instead and claimed their £7

Anyone know who/where is the best/right email/phone number to get them to refund the ½ amount? If the ref given was wrong, why did they try and make a wild stab at the correct details?

I promise in future to do his orders for him :(:D

Oh, BTW, what should the refund amount be? I can never remember....is it £4 or £3 or £3.50???

I think the refund amount is £4, Merry, but hopefully someone who has had a refund recently can confirm that!

As for why they decided to look at Q1 of 1940, if the marriage took place at the very very end of Q4 1939 and got to the GRO a bit late, then it could possibly be listed in Q1 1940, couldn't it? As for the ref nos, I suppose they thought they were helping by ignoring them! I suppose either way, you / they can't win.

Good luck with the refund. And make sure you are the one who does all the ordering in future!
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Hi i just did the same thing put 1838 instead of 1938 and they didnt send cert and refunded me £4, this was only last week.

Not sure who you phone sorry.

Cherry Too

Comment

GRO telephone number

Tel: 0845 603 7788 (8am to 8pm Monday to Friday. Saturday 9am to 4pm).
        Elaine

Comment

Hi Merry

Have you seen the two marriages in 1839 for William Rogers on Freereg? One is October and one December. If they are yours I could get a copy of the certificate on my next visit to Stafford Records Office. That would save the cost of re-ordering. It would be a photocopy from the microfiche.
          Helen
          Support the S.O.P.H.I.E. campaign, Stamp Out Predudice Hatred + Intolerance Everywhere.

Visit the website at http://www.sophielancasterfoundation.com/index1.html

http://www.illamasqua.com/about/sophie/

Comment

Thank you everyone for your replies and advice. Tom....I promise to be nice to them

Helen......That would be extremely kind of you, thank you for your kind offer....

The marriage we are after is for William ROGERS to Jane LEMIN at St Peters Wolverhampton on 20th Oct 1839

But is there anything I can do for you in return??

Comment

Merry
              With all the good advice you give on here, then the favour is more than returned already!:D I will be able to get there next week so I will let you know when its done.
              Helen
              Support the S.O.P.H.I.E. campaign, Stamp Out Predudice Hatred + Intolerance Everywhere.

Visit the website at http://www.sophielancasterfoundation.com/index1.html

http://www.illamasqua.com/about/sophie/

Comment

Thank you Helen

Comment

Aw, havent we got lovely people on these boards..

Glad its all worked out Merry..

]

Comment

Working...
                  X