Help please with my fairground folk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please with my fairground folk

My grt grt grt granmother Eliza Toogood and family in 1891 - Class: RG12; Piece: 4228; Folio 68; Page 25

I have Jeremiah Toogood, Eliza's husband's death cert 1889 Middlesbro the informant is his daughter in law Louisa, address in a caravan Middlesbro

In 1871 the family are in Scotland and have given up trying to find them in 1881

so I am now trying to find any of them in 1901, also BMDs especially Thomas Toogood and Louisa's marriage and Eliza's death

Thank you

Do you think this is Eliza in 1901 - Class: RG13; Piece: 4774; Folio: 177; Page: 9.

i have tryed finding info on St Joseph's house but can't find anything - it is some sort of poor house for old people run by nuns

Comment

here you go caroline is this any good/
      Jeff Knaggs - Genealogy - 1901 Institutions

Comment

can't see them in 1881 either, just checking 1901
        Vikki -
        Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Comment

I'm pretty sure I gave you this link before, but it might help?

Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thanks Jennifer - Charitable Institution Conducted by the Little Sisters of the Poor sounds nicer than the workhouse! - I'm still not convinced its my Eliza as the place of birth is different, mind you Stanley Church does not seem to exist, the nearest I could find was Stoney Cross

thanks Vikki, I gave up on 1881 bearing in mind that they would still be living in the caravan then, in 1891 they are in a house

Comment

I have just seen a death on FreeBMD

1898 (2nd Qtr) S. Stoneham (hampshire)
              Elizabeth Sarah Toogood age 77

Right age
              Vikki -

Comment

Thanks Julie, I have found some Toogoods on those sites but have not linked them to my family yet

Comment

Thanks Vikki Iwill look in to that one

Eliza is born 1816 on the 1871 Scotland census and all their ages fluctuate , the only one I have a cert for is James born 1863 Aberdeen

Comment

I can sympathise, I have a family exactly the same, they also seem to vanish from one census pop up on the next one and vanish again

They seem to vary where and when they were born too. I only have one marriage cert for them at the moment, but I am hoping to find some baptism records at least
                    Vikki -

Comment

I think that Raymond Nixon is the son of Eliza's daughter Martha

Is this his birth? or just coincidence - Sep 1879 Toogood Reefer Nixon, Middlesbro' 9d 539

and could this be Martha's marriage to John Hickson (Hickson sounds like Nixon?!) - Mar 1884 Toogood Martha, Middlesbro' 9d 798

or am I grasping at straws?

Comment

Vikki, I've found more Baptisms than anything else for this family, hardly any BMDs or census records,

Looking at some of the sites recomended on WIKI I found there were still Toogoods working in fairgrounds i the North East in the 1960s, one with the wonderful name Aquila Toogood II. I have a feeling that they are desended from either James or Thomas, but I can't find either of these brothers after 1891

Comment

Hi Norfolk Marsh Gal, I am also doing our family tree and Eliza /Jeremiah are also my 4xGrt grandparents ,I feel we may be related ,I’ve a feeling you might be Dougies girl ,I’m Jeanie Perrys boy Vince ,I expect you’ve completed the family tree by now ,would be nice if we could compare notes as we are in early stages but have some good stuff ,regards Vince

Comment

You can try sending a message to NorfolkMarshGal as she has not been on the forum in a while, and she won't know you have replied to this thread.
                            Carolyn
                            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                            Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

How do I send message it keeps telling me

Comment

Sorry it keeps telling me I can’t post a direct message for some reason ?

Comment

Have you any contact directly with Norfolk Marsh Gal ? I may be barking up wrong tree but have a feeling she’s a Perry ,thanks for help vince

Comment

If you look on ScotlandsPeople website there are 36 deaths of persons with the surname as spelled TOOGOOD. The dates range from 1866 to 2019. All of the entries from 1981 onwards show mother’s maiden surname except for one where the informant did know that information. You can search for males and females separately if you wish. In the case of females you can easily check if they were married or not. Copy down the Reg District and index number and then open another tab in your browser. Enter only the forenames as shown in the entry and set the County and Reg District to those you noted down. Now click search as see if the same certificate number appears more than once. If it does then the lady was married and maybe more than once If any of the marriages took place in Scotland you should be able to find them in the marriage indexes as you now know the spouse’s surname. In the case of ladies married more than once, the indexes should let you work out which order her marriages came in.

I also checked with wildcards To*g*d and came up with 38 entries. One of them was a 1994 double entry for the same person where a surname correction had been made TOOGOOD / TODGOOD and the other 1871 for a baby aged 0 with the surname TOROGOOD
                                    Hope that helps.

Comment

I have sent a message, it is possibly due to you being new to the forum.
                                      Carolyn
                                      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                                      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Thank you ,vince

Comment

Working...
                                        X