Registry Office Marriage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Registry Office Marriage

I have a marriage certificate from 1864 where the marriage took place in a registry office.
    I was looking at it last night and spotted an oddity (for want of better discription).

On the line below the names where it says "Married in the _______________according to the Rites and Ceremonies of the ____________ by me__________"
    where the blanks get filled in with the church name, and all that, it has the "....Rites & Ceremonies of the PARTIES BEFORE me"

This is the only Registry Office marriage that I have, so is this normal? And what could it constitute?

The couple were a Bachelor and a Woman deserted by her Husband.

Thanks for looking
    Helen

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...enSmithToo-296

I don't know the answer, but It's not the norm....so would it be that the parties before him were the bride and groom, or someother person who had a court document giving the woman permission to marry. Presumably you needed someone in authority to agree you had been deserted and for the prescribed length of time?

Comment

Wild idea, but I wonder if they asked for a certain sort of personalised ceremony, just as people expect today when being married in a Register Office?

Might have been unusual enough in those days for the Registrar to remark it, should anyone ever question why they were allowed to daub each other with ashes or something!

Sorry, being flippant, but you know what I mean (I hope)

OC

Comment

I think it sounds as if OC's theory would fit. So long as it included the legal requirements, they may have wanted some other ceremony as well.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Makes no sense at all. Rites and ceremonies have to belong to a church or to the register office ceremony.

I've just looked at 3 marriage certs I have, all in register offices,
          1852 Cornwall, rites and ceremonies bit crossed out and it just says "before me" and the name of the Registrar.

1898 Strand, London has rites & ceremonies crossed out, it says "by licence" and
          1921 Bridgend, Wales, rites & ceremonies crossed out, it says "by certificate".
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

This site doesn't have any theories either, it says rites & ceremonies bit sometimes has a different denomination from the religious building in which it occurred, but not register office!

Marriage Certificate Tutorials

Comment

Perhaps the "rites and ceremonies" bit should have been crossed out, and hasn't been at some point of the proceedings?

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

HHmmm!

Jackson Birth, Marriage & Death Certificates

has someone's certs - not the images,but the info. There are two register office marriages. One has "rites & ceremonies" crossed out - the other doesn't but it says "rites & ceremonies of the" and isn't completed, so not sure if it should have been crossed out.

Comment

Thank you for your replies.

So if definitely isn't the norm.
                  My brother remarried in a Registry Office - might have to ask him what his certificate says.

I believe the missing hubby had skipped off to Canada - certainly someone of his name and approximate age is there on the censuses until he died in 1907.

Thanks again
                  Helen

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...enSmithToo-296

Comment

Working...
                  X