Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Officer records request- TNA

Hello

I wonder if anyone has any experience in requesting copies of a file from TNA?
    I requested a quote for copying a file, a record of an Officer in WW1 1917-19 and 1929, associated with a person I am researching (to whom I am related, by the way). The quote came back at about £40, which must amount to a lot of pages, at about (I think) 40p per page copied.
    Do you think all this information in the file relates to my relative, or will several peoples' files be stored under the same batch or code number, in which case I would be paying for lots of unneeded info.
    So, has anyone done this, and about how many pages did you get?

Thanks for you help

Louise

Hiya Louise

are they service records that you are after??? if so and you have an ancestry sub you can get the records on there for free...

providing you know roughly who/when and what reg't that is.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
      Hiya Louise

are they service records that you are after??? if so and you have an ancestry sub you can get the records on there for free...

providing you know roughly who/when and what reg't that is.
      I've entered "Russell CHRISTMAS" in both the pensions and the service records search box. It should bring up both my grandfather and his elder brother, but neither appears. I know they are there because I've been to Kew and seen them. I have copies from my great uncle's record.

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hello

The reference I have found is:

War Office: Officers' Services, First World War, personal files (alphabetical) WO 374/........

which is brought up when I put in his name.

I think this is different to what is on Ancesrty- what do you think? Anyway, I have a subscription and can't find him on ancestry, although that may be my fault!

Thanks

Louise

Comment

I don't know then Louise,

If you want to throw out a name/POB/DOB I can have alook and see if I can find anything..
          Julie

Comment

I haven't found many officers - now I think about it - on eth Ancestry records, yet.

My grandfather and his brother were both (junior) officers.

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I found a sqd sgt Major on Ancestry the other day

dont know how high/low ranking they are....
              Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                I found a sqd sgt Major on Ancestry the other day

dont know how high/low ranking they are....
                I think he's the one he officers are afraid of!

Christine

Comment

No officers records are on Ancestry. They are just available from Kew. Provided you quoted the full reference, so WO 374/whatever, then they would just be his records. Unlikely to be loads of pages in my experience - it's just them charging a fortune for copying, I think!
                  The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
                  Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

The largest set of officer records I have had from Kew is well over 200 pages. The smallest about 50 pages. I have about 6 or 7 others all nearer to the 50 pages size!

Comment

Merry

Must admit, I've never seen one that big (as the actress said to the bishop)!!!
                      Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

lol ann!

and they sent it to me by mistake (the 200 page one), so I didn't even have to pay for it! It had been indexed incorrectly, swapped with the one for my own relative.

I spent a while trying to trace a relative of the man, to no avail, so the records are now currently clogging up by filing cabinet :( (well, I can't throw it away, can I?!)

Comment

No, don't throw it away! You'll find a grateful recipient one day.

Comment

Hi

It's not a chap from the West Midlands or Liverpool is it?? Haha that would save TNA doing the work for me again!

From what you have all said, I think the £40 I have been quoted must be the correct amount for all the info on my chap. Having looked again at TNA I think there must be a charge per hour for copying as well as the actual copies.

Now I am wondering if it would be cheaper to ask for a Digital delivery- not much cheaper I bet!

Thanks everyone

Louise

Comment

Originally posted by mcknil View Post
                              Now I am wondering if it would be cheaper to ask for a Digital delivery- not much cheaper I bet!
                              And not much good unless you can set your printer to a reasonably high resolution.
                              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I once used the quote/order service on the National Archives site and if my memory serves me right there was a special instruction box on the request page. I filled it in with "all pages relating to Joe Blogs" They then sent me a quote with a breakdown of the costs. I think it was about £9 for 30 pages and that included p&p.

Hope this helps

Comment

Working...
                                X