Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trinity House petition from British Origins - should I order it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trinity House petition from British Origins - should I order it?

In the Trinity House Calendars section of British Origins there is an entry for Farrow Salter age 60 of Great Yarmouth, in the Petitions. It would cost £10 for a copy of it. Should I order it? I am 99% certain that he is my ancestor, but I've never been able to find a baptism for my ancestor Thomas who I believe was his son (born about 1751, when Farrow would have been 21.) Do you think there would be any mention of children in the petition if they were grown up and married with their own families? And if not, would I find lots of interesting stuff in the petition to make it worth the money anyway? Has anybody ever bought one and can tell me if it's worth it, please?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Almost certainly!
    They do vary, but the petitions are because someone has fallen on hard times. If a widow, then marriage details. Infant children - you get baptism details. Ships the man sailed on. Who proposed the petitioner - ofyen a relative.
    Must admit that I looked up the originals myself at the SoG, but found oodles of info that led me on to other records.
    I think there will be less because your gent is elderly and the period is early, but you may get signature (or mark!) for the widow etc. And learn a bit about how he died, if at sea.
    Phoenix - with charred feathers
    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

What puzzles me is that he didn't die till 7 years after that, according to the burial info I have, so I would think it was not a case of the widow wanting a pension but him wanting one himself. But Thomas, who I am sure was his son, was a ship broker and ship owner in London not long after that, so I didn't imagine his parents would have been so short of money. I think I will order the petition just to see what it does say.
      KiteRunner

Comment

It's come, and it does give the names and ages of those of his children who were still living at home, and the age of his wife (but not her name, lol) plus the names of some of the ships that it turns out he was Master of (The Mayflower! Not that one!) He had had a stroke and that was why he needed a pension. There are loads of signatures of various people who supported his petition. Well worth the money if anybody else is thinking of ordering one.
        KiteRunner

Comment

KiteRunner

Good to get the end of the story. Only wish I had some folks on that database!
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I am so pleased that this was worthwhile, Kite Runner. I have seen a few petitions that were niggardly on the facts, and I didn't know how good the early ones were, but it sounds as if you hit the jackpot.
            Certainly, the one I found contained a lot of information that I would not have discovered elsewhere, or would have been very expensive to research.
            Phoenix - with charred feathers
            Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Unfortunately, any search containing the word Mayflower is useless to me!
              KiteRunner

Comment

Can you google with his name (in inverted commas to make it a single search-term) plus "Mayflower"?

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I can answer myown question...

Even adding in "-plymouth" to get rid of some obviously superfluous hits, you don't necessarily get anything useful.

Christine
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I tried earlier on, Christine, but gave it up until I have more time. There aren't any matches for his full name and too many for just his surname with Mayflower!
                    KiteRunner

Comment

Working...
                    X