Stumped!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stumped!!

spending time to sort out the niggly bits in my tree.. I am still at a loss where to go from here on this part.

any ideas would be good

I have Elizabeth Moore married Samuel Shelton 27th Dec 1813 @ Papplewick, Nottm.

they have 7 children, the youngest being born 1833 @ Bulwell, Nottm (all others are born at Papplewick)

I have Elizabeth and Samuel on the 41, 51. I have tracked the children and their respective families, thro the census.

I cannot get any further back with Elizabeth as I don't know where her POB is, Samuel is proving to be just as awkward too.

I have a copy of their Marriage from the PR's and that isnt very helpful either.

1841 ref:
    Class: HO107; Piece 856; Book: 9; Civil Parish: Bulwell; County: Nottinghamshire; Enumeration District: 3; Folio: 22; Page: 36; Line: 1;

1851 ref:
    Class: HO107; Piece: 2127; Folio: 525; Page: 43;

this is from the 51 cens, I can't decypher her POB. it doesnt look like anything around here

Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Oh I have just checked the Marriage copy, states both OTP, and the marriage was by Banns... so would there be a record of this somewhere? Archives? praps?

witness's were Ann Moore and John Savage (well, thats what his name looks like anyway)
    Julie

Comment

Been looking at the 1851 POB and it does look like Ship??on, but I can't see anything like it either in Notts

You could try the archive to see if any of the marriage alegations, bonds or licence still exist, they might shed some light on her.
      Vikki -
      Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Comment

Hi Julie

I have been staring at the original page with spyglass etc. It definitely starts with S and seems to end with nam, it's those horrible squiggles that are confusing. I am waiting for hubby to come downstairs as his knowledge of Notts is very good from when he travelled all over.
        Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Is that an f in the middle or a long s? Sorry, not much help.
          Heather

Comment

Thanks Vikki and Chrissie,

it is driving me NUTS!! lol... its transcribed as Spynom....i'd love to know where it is pmsl!!

I think the 2 squiggles are supposed to be P's but even then it dont make sense!

Julie

Comment

Originally posted by vikki brace View Post
              Been looking at the 1851 POB and it does look like Ship??on, but I can't see anything like it either in Notts

You could try the archive to see if any of the marriage alegations, bonds or licence still exist, they might shed some light on her.
              erm, would they have had a licence? and as for alegations and bonds, er.. havent a clue what they are... :o
              Julie

Comment

I suddenly thought it was Sp at the beginning but I have been all through the Sp on the map and if it's Sp I don't think it still exists

Comment

If they got married by banns then there won't be a licence, allegation or bond, and although I have never looked at a banns book yet, I don't think it would be likely to have more info in there than you already have.

Ann Moore isn't going to be much help (if only she had got married before Elizabeth!) unless you can find Elizabeth or her husband being a witness at Ann's wedding later on. Have you tried looking for a John Savage marriage to see if he was married to a relative of Elizabeth's (or Samuel's)?
                  KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                  (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Oooo, I don't know - Sorry just read back that they married by Banns (Sorry, brain not with it)

I'm going to go now, before I say something else stupid:o.
                    Vikki -
                    Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Comment

I assume she was dead before 1861 and that's why we can't look at any other census?

Comment

The only place in Notts with a double 'pp' near the beginning is Epplestone. Doesn't look like that!

Perhaps the county has been wrongly asscribed by the enumerator? Even so I can't find anything in my gazetteer that looks like this one! I think it must either be an abbreviation or the enumerator didn't know what it was either and just scribbled something - anything to fill it in! Not much help to you.

Anne

Comment

Kate,

I'm pretty sure that I tracked him but it didnt amount to anything.

Would there be a certain age that you could be a witness? would they have to be over say 18? I'm just trying to see if I can get somewhere with Ann Moore

Chrissie,

yes thats right, although I haven't got a DOD for her. But I'm pretty sure I have Samuel in the 61 as a widower.

Anne,

That would be Epperstone you mean?
                          Last edited by Darksecretz; 23-01-08, 10:57.
                          Julie

Comment

Oh, sorry :o yes probably. Anyway it looks nothing like that!
                            Anne

Comment

I see what you mean Julie. Too many Elizabeth Shelton deaths in Basford and Nottingham between 1841 and 1851.

4 Nottingham 3 Basford on free bmd
                              Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 23-01-08, 11:43.

Comment

mm

I have BMD's for nottingham/shire on cd, (pr's) but there arent even any elizabeth's that "feel" right, on there.
                                Julie

Comment

Lol Julie - how do they 'feel' then)))))))))

Comment

dunno, gut instinct praps.... there is one burial in 1863 in bulwell, but I cant see an obvious Elizabeth there.. on the 1861..
                                    Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                                      The only place in Notts with a double 'pp' near the beginning is Epplestone. Doesn't look like that!

Perhaps the county has been wrongly asscribed by the enumerator? Even so I can't find anything in my gazetteer that looks like this one! I think it must either be an abbreviation or the enumerator didn't know what it was either and just scribbled something - anything to fill it in! Not much help to you.

Anne
                                      you know what... there IS an elizabeth bapt at Epperstone... in 1789..

thanks Anne!! I realise it might not be anything, but.. wont know till I look will I?
                                      Julie

Comment

OMG!! Glad to have put another idea forward anyway! I wonder how the locals pronounce it? That could have something to do with it?
                                        Anne

Comment

Working...
                                        X