Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scotlands People - New Modern Index Release

Hi All,
    This is my very first post so apologies if I have got it wrong or if I am on the wrong board. Perhaps this has been posted before - Scotlands People now has modern day indexes released for births and deaths.
    I thought you would like to know.
    best wishes and happy hunting.
    herky
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

This is what it says on the SP website:-

***Birth and Death Indexes Up To 2006 Released ***

We are pleased to announce that new data (Please note Indexes Only) from the Statutory Register of Births up to 2006 and the Statutory Register of Deaths up to 2006 are now online.

Please note that these are indexes only (no images) and the marriage indexes will follow shortly.

Also please read the important information regarding the Mother's Maiden Surname.

Ooh-err missis, a happy hunting ground.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Ooh, brilliant! Thanks so much for that. I had heard they were going to make them available online, but I didn't realise it was going to be so soon.

A big big welcome to the forum!
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

P.S. I wonder if Scotland's People will soon get overloaded and crash with the numbers of people who will be rushing onto there!
        KiteRunner

Comment

Hi, Now this is my first reply so I hope you get it.
          SP was very busy tonight and searches were slow. I did find some people though so worth the wait.
          herky
          herky
          Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Yep, message received!

Think I'll be busy on there tomorrow anyway. You never know what might be on there, do you?
            KiteRunner

Comment

Just got in straight away - no problem.

Modern Indexes

Shame the images aren't there and slightly more expensive for copies £10.

At least I've sorted out the right year for 1 credit!!!

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Well, I'm not sure that I would be keen on the images being available to download if I was born in Scotland! Would you really want anyone who paid their £10 to be able to download your birth certificate, for instance?
                KiteRunner

Comment

ooh I been there too... have found more rellies and some of them are still alive... yippee!!!

researching Matchett, McFarland, Dick, Ewing, Koehler or Kohler, Nairn and Young.

Raven's Wiki Page
                  Raven's Family Tree

Comment

I have been on SP for ages tonight, very slow, and I thought to myself "I've never noticed that bit about mother's maiden name before"....

....observant I am NOT, lol!!!

Oh dear and I've just used up my credits on a fruitless hunt for someone else...where's me credit card (again).

OC

Comment

Supposed to be looking for more recent info from the indexes

- ended up with marriage and death images which I have been wondering about for ages. Seems grandson didn't know his grandfather's name and has given his mother's fancy man's instead on his fathers death certificate - oops!!!

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Er... you are sure the fancy man wasn't the real father, I suppose??
                        KiteRunner

Comment

I'm glad to say I've found my wife and parents-in-law in the right year and location.
                          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Scotlands People

You can now search Births and Deaths until 2006 , you cant view the actual image or download them but its still pretty handy
                            Kate xx

Comment

I just discovered that today Kate. Very handy indeed!
                              And, according to Elizabeth in Herts, although you can't put mother's MS in the search field, it will show on the results page.
                              Gillian
                              User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

Herky put a post up yesterday about this and this morning I paid my £6 and found the 3 people I needed.
                                Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

As the saying goes. Im at the coos tail again lol
                                  Kate xx

Comment

I have been using the new searches in Scotland's People and on the results pages mother's maiden name comes up as not permissible.

I also bought new credits yesterday, the site went funny and I thought I would have to go through it all again when I received my confirmation email that the transaction had gone through but I haven't been credited with the new credits. Have emailed them so waiting on a response.

researching Matchett, McFarland, Dick, Ewing, Koehler or Kohler, Nairn and Young.

Raven's Wiki Page
                                    Raven's Family Tree

Comment

There is some info on the home page about mother's maiden name - I think it said that not all index entries include it, so they are working through adding it into each entry. If you read the info on there I think it tells you which years are likely to include MMN and which aren't.
                                      KiteRunner

Comment

I have just been reading that page Kate but I interpreted it to mean that mmn, if transcribed, would show as not permissible on all death index entries and could only be seen if the image was ordered.

Raven - does that apply to births too, or just deaths?
                                        Gillian
                                        User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

Working...
                                        X