Query about an entry on FreeReg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Query about an entry on FreeReg

I've found a marriage entry for Harriet Cresswell on FreeReg. On the record details at the bottom there is an entry for Notes - Banns; Groom's father deceased etc.

Does this mean that Banns were posted as I was informed that because Harriet married before October 1845 at St Peters, Wolverhampton, (Harriet married September 1845) Banns weren't recorded.

Elaine
    Looking for: Bassick/Beswick in Lancashire, Wolverhampton, Durham - Bradshaw & Drage in Bozeat & London - Rainbow, Strange, Maginess, Northcote, Thompson, Bartlett & Wheeler in London - Harrington, Gusterson & Sach in Essex

I have no idea what happened in October 1845, but I can tell you that people have been marrying by banns for years before that. The marriage certificate should state if the marriage was by banns and the banns book should list them. Of course, the banns book might not have survived, but banns were certainly recorded before 1845 as I have seen some including those of my gt gt grandparents who married in 1831!
    Last edited by Little Nell; 22-01-08, 20:22.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thanks for replying Little Nell.

It states on the marriage certificate it was by Banns (never noticed this before). I've had someone look at the register entry and it was they who told me they weren't married by Banns, so took them at their word for it.

Its one of those things that you don't see and then suddenly it jumps out at you.

Elaine
      Looking for: Bassick/Beswick in Lancashire, Wolverhampton, Durham - Bradshaw & Drage in Bozeat & London - Rainbow, Strange, Maginess, Northcote, Thompson, Bartlett & Wheeler in London - Harrington, Gusterson & Sach in Essex

Comment

I've just read the FreeReg entry and I read it as meaning they were married by banns. It doesn't mean the transcriber has seen the banns, just that the marriage certificate states they were married by banns.

Comment

Our posts crossed! I'd want to check the entry for myself. Older marriage certs are quite small (three to a page) and its quite easy to misread them. But most folk would have been married by banns, it was more unusual earlier on to marry by licence (though it did happen!)

Added later. I am mad! In 1845 you get the full details about fathers' names & occupations etc just as you would if you'd ordered the cert from the GRO.
          Last edited by Little Nell; 22-01-08, 20:35.

Comment

If Banns were posted then I should be able to find out more information on Harriet's father as he is listed as deceased, am I right in thinking this?

elaine

Comment

No. banns will just be 3 separate listings stating that Fred Bloggs intends to marry Fanny Claptrap, with the date the banns were read. It won't give any further information than that.

This is what I have for my gt gt grandparents:

Cantley banns register 1831 p. 15 no. 25 [look up on film at LDS centre, South Kensington, Feb 2006]
              William Gray otp single man
              Susanna Dunt otp single woman
              1st Feb 13
              2nd Feb 20
              3rd Feb 27

Comment

Thanks your help Little Nell

Looks like this brickwall isn't going to come down

Elaine

Comment

I realise your marriage was after 1837 civil registration came in, when you got more details on a marriage cert but I think the banns would be the same. I can't offhand think of any I've seen after 1837, maybe someone else can advise.

Comment

Elaine

What is the problem with her father? The marriage cert should give his occupation (even if he was dead, lol). Have you found a baptism for her? Or a burial/death for him?

Comment

Her father is listed as J Cresswell deceased, I (and other's related to her) can't find her baptism, she's not on the 1841 census.

She can be tracked from the 1851 census onwards, but not before.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

Elaine

Comment

Forgot to mention he was a miner and Cresswell is quite common around the Wolverhampton/Bilston area.

Elaine

Comment

When and where does she say she was born on 1851?

Comment

One things the Banns usually do is to tell you which parish the two parties come from. That isn't, of course, necessarily where they were born. Sometimes they're just described as sojourners.

Christine
                            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

But Christine, wouldn't that be the same as the residence given for them on the actual marriage certificate anyway?
                              KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                              (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                                But Christine, wouldn't that be the same as the residence given for them on the actual marriage certificate anyway?
                                Usually, yes, but there could be a difference. Some of the earlier marriage records aren't all that clear about where people come from, but you can't call Banns without specifying that info.

Christine
                                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Waves to Elaine as I have Creswells in Tettenhall, though a bit earlier.
                                  Your correspondent might mean that there is a surviving banns book, but no entry for this couple. Which should not happen, but banns books have not been so highly regarded as marriage registers.
                                  Phoenix - with charred feathers
                                  Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Hi everyone who is trying to help and to you Phoenix.

I have a copy of her marriage certificate and the residence is down as Wolverhampton, which doesn't help.

On later censuses Harriet says she was born in Wolverhampton, Bilston, and Sedgeley, so she's obviously from around that area - looks like its going to stay a brickwall.

Elaine

Comment

Additional info:

On FreeReg there is no specific field in the database to enter if a marriage was by Banns or by Licence. However there is an area (the Notes Box) where transcribers can enter anything they think is relevant - so is very much up to the transcriber's discretion. Actual instructions to FreeReg transcribers are not to enter Banns, as most marriages were by Banns but only to enter Lic. if by licence.

I know it doesn't help you much in your search but might come in handy for anyone else doing a search

Good luck
                                      CAROLE : "A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK"

Comment

Working...
                                      X