help needed.pls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help needed.pls

im looking for a william hill born abt 1783 chesterfield.would like to know as much info as possible.hes got kids,but no sign of the mother.and would like to know his mum and dad.pls.Andy

Hi Andy

welcome to the boards.

Have you found William on any census?
    Vikki -
    Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Comment

Welcome to FTF

See this page of GENUKI detailing ways of accessing the Chesterfield Parish Registers (to hopefully trace his baptism).

GENUKI: Chesterfield, Derbyshire

How do you know where he was born?

Comment

think i might have something a christening on the 3rd of nov 1783.joseph and elizabeth parents.but not sure.andy

Comment

You haven't really told us very much, but if you know his childrens names and when and where they were born, then their baptisms would give you their mother's first name. Plus knowing when the earliest known child was born would give you a rough time frame for their marriage.

Have you found any of these people on any census?

How do you know when and where William was born?

Comment

found on Family search.org
            William Hill baptised 3/11/1783 South wingfield Derby Parents Joseph Hill and Elizabeth.
            This may be him 1841 census Class: H0107 Piece 196 Book 18
            No name of wife given but Children James, Matthew, and Robert. He is given his birth place as South Wingfield.
            If this is him then he is on 1851 census Class H0107 Piece 2145 Folio 315 Page 29 children James, William, Robert, Mary.
            1861: Class RG9 Piece 2513 Folio 107 with a wife this time called Mary and she is only 29!!!!!
            Also on Free BMD this could be his death William hill born abt 1783, Death 1872 aged 89, district Chesterfield, Vol 7B Page 341.
            Have a look and see what you think you probablly have furhter details so you will be able to tell whetehr it is your family. I could not read the occupation on the census as this also might help.
            GWEN

Comment

Originally posted by Gwen@coggiecorner View Post
              found on Family search.org
              William Hill baptised 3/11/1783 South wingfield Derby Parents Joseph Hill and Elizabeth.

That's odd isn't it? I saw that baptism and census record but took it to be someone else because none of it was Chesterfield. I didn't notice the date was an exact match,only the year!!

Why would anyone think he was born in Chesterfield if he said South Wingfield on the census and the baptism date and place is South Wingfield as well?

Anyway, on the offchance that theSouth Wingfield man on the census is the right one, the 1851 census record says he's a Chelsea Pensoner.

The baptisms for the children are on the IGI (mother Mary! lol)

WILLIAM HILL - International Genealogical Index
              Gender: Male Christening: 14 MAR 1819 South Wingfield, Derby

ROBERT HILL - International Genealogical Index

ROBERT HILL - International Genealogical Index
              Gender: Male Christening: 27 JUN 1824 Wesleyan, Cromford Circuit, Derby

MATHEW HILL - International Genealogical Index

MATHEW HILL - International Genealogical Index
              Gender: Male Christening: 02 OCT 1827 Wesleyan, Cromford Circuit, Derby

JAMES HILL - International Genealogical Index

JAMES HILL - International Genealogical Index
              Gender: Male Christening: 09 DEC 1829 Wesleyan, Cromford Circuit, Derby

I think Mary on the 1851 may be William junr's wife and the same in 1861, rather than the wife of Wm senr.

You are lucky......William senr's army record is available to buy (or free except for copying prices if you can visit TNA) online at The National Archives at Kew.

WO 121/127/220 WILLIAM HILL Born SOUTH WINFIELD, Derbyshire Served in 45th Foot Regiment Discharged aged 28 after 11 years 3 months of service Covering dates give year of enlistment to year of discharge. 1801-1813

If you don't know how to access the index or get an estimate of the cost then just shout. There's no needfor my two fingered typing to go through it all if you already know!!!

And a lot depends on whether we are all talking about the same person
              Last edited by Merry Monty Montgomery; 22-01-08, 19:13.

Comment

Possible marriage on the IGI?

WILLIAM HILL Marriages:
                Spouse: MARY HAWKSLEY
                Marriage: 03 APR 1815 South Wingfield, Derby
                Messages: Extracted marriage record for locality listed in the record.

It's possible these are two more children for them:

MARIA HILL - International Genealogical Index
                Gender: Female Christening: 14 JUN 1815 South Wingfield, Derby

ELIZA HILL - International Genealogical Index
                Gender: Female Christening: 05 JAN 1817 South Wingfield, Derby

Comment

It could be that Andy has found a William Hill on the census(es) born about 1783 who gives his birthplace as Chesterfield, and the only likely-looking Derbyshire baptism he could find on the IGI was the South Wingfield one. If he does give his birthplace as Chesterfield on the census then the South Wingfield baptism is unlikely to be him because South Wingfield is not that near to Chesterfield.

In which case, I would hold fire on the army records if I were you, Andy!
                  KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                  (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Kite, That's why I asked Andy where he discovered William was born at Chesterfield. I can't see anyone of the right sort of age who fits this criteria on the census, but the South Wingfield man does fit what Andy said in as much as he had children with him and was a widower (which I realise isn't much to go on!).

Comment

Working...
                    X