Favourite weddings!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favourite weddings!

I thought we might have a thread to post historic wedding photos. At least most can be accurately dated! lol

Maybe those who don't have wedding pictures for their family will be able to get a feel of how they might have looked at different dates?

I have quite a few wedding photos in my tree, but these two are my favourites........

The marriage of my 5th cousin, once removed, Eric Whitlock Goodman, to Norah Dorothy Stacpoole in September 1929. I love the way the bridesmaid is standing on the bride's train! lol

The second one is my 1st cousin, three times removed, Ellen Mary Hunt (in the centre) in March 1898. She must have been a bit on the shelf at 35, and I wondered, at first, why she didn't have her husband in the photo. Turns out she did!! lol He is on the left of the bride (from our view) and was Edwin Bracher, aged 73 He was older than her father, who is sitting on her other side.

I know who all but one person in Ellen and Edwin's photo.The man sitting on the ground at the front right is the bride's brother, Frederick Charles Hunt, registrar and family historian, who spent about 70 years compiling his family tree and which we spent 15 years tracking down (the tree, not him!! lol)
    Last edited by Pippa Doll; 14-11-08, 21:54.

What a lovely idea Merry

Here are mine

1. Wedding of Hetty Eliza Hinson to Thomas James Haines (My Great Great Grandparents) taken in 1903

2. Wedding of Herbert Frank Haines and Catherine Braley taken 1903

3. Phyllis Rhoda Hinson to Henry W Marsh 1933

4. David George Haines and Alice Anderson 25 december 1905

Vikki -
    Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Comment

Oh goody, I love wedding photos.

This is my grandparent's wedding in 1923 Francis Stowell & Ethel Clarke. His father Francis is on the back row with a moustache & his mother Flora just in front in the big hat with white flower. Wiliam Clarke is theman on the front row, also with a moustache, surrounded by his daughters. The marriage took place at the Church of the Ascension, Battersea.

This is the marriage of my great aunt Charlotte Appleyard and her husband Oscar Purfield, which took place at St Peter's church, Barton upon Humber in 1916. she is surrounded by her parents Fred & Mary, her sister in law and all but one of her surviving brothers & sisters. My grandma, front right, looks very much like my eldest niece. The other girl on the front, was Carrie, a bit of a rebel who moved to Australia & was the mother of Da'd cousin Terry who came over last year.
      Last edited by Lynn The Forest Fan; 22-01-08, 13:23.
      Lynn

Comment

What fantastic photos guys!

My avatar is probably my best and favourite picture.

It's of the wedding of one of my great aunt's family...but it's still special all the same, because it put lots of faces to the names I had!

But let's face it, nothing like so grand as the ones above this post!

They must have been very poor!
        Just Mandy

"They certainly broke the mould when they made me!"

Comment

Interesting how there's no sign of a church in any of the above! Back gardens seem popular

Comment

This is my avatar its my grandparents wedding in 1934, the picture was taken in G Grans garden the day after the wedding they couldn't afford a photographer so the next door neighbour did it on the saturday when he was home from work they had to get dressed up again!

This one is my aunt (who my nan was pregnant with in the pic above) in 1956, I love her dress and wish she hadn't gave it away because I would have loved to have it for my wedding!

Comment

here are a few more

Walter Thomas Smith and Ada Rhoda Smith 1927

Arthur Edward Ernest Dawson and Marjorie Jane Haines 1929

Cecil Alice Dawson and Frederick Arthur Blunden 1920

Vikki -
              Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Comment

Not sure IF this is a wedding photo or not, but it shows my Mammar, seated to your left, she was born in 1891 and she married in 1910.
                The younger ladies are wearing corsages, which made me think it was possibly a wedding picture. I do not know who the other two ladies are, family stories say that they were family friends and the younger lady standing was a teacher that my Mammar could've worked with. (as she wanted to become a teacher) But, She had to give up the idea, and go to work to bring in some money.

Julie
                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

The is one of my black sheep! Frederick William Smith (my 1st cousin 3x removed) and his bride Annie Elizabeth Fletcher. Apparently his parents didn't approve of her, but he still went ahead!!

This wedding was in 1894.
                  Last edited by Pippa Doll; 14-11-08, 21:54.

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post

I'm loving these hats

I think it's sad that women lost the opportunity to really wear a decent hat when the whim takes them.

I mean, we could get away with a little thing but we'd be committed if we popped down the shops in one of these wouldn't we
                    Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

Here are my paternal grandparents. They married in October 1907. Another back garden picture - the back garden was next door to the methodist chapel where they married in Ampthill, BDF. I love the body language - miles apart!! they remained happily married for the rest of thei lives.
                      Anne

Comment

My mum and dad August 1941
                        PAT

Comment

Here they are again. My paternal grandmother is on the left and maternal one on the right
                          PAT

Comment

What lovely photos. Sadly I don't have many in my family - and the one of my gt grandparents (where Emma has her veil DOWN!) is at my Mum's. I will scan some others when I can.
                            ~ with love from Little Nell~
                            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

husband's grandparents, William Sidney Carter & Maud Violet Ledger

23 April 1922
                              Marriage was at St Bartholemew's, Gray's Inn Road, St Pancras, London.
                              [IMG][/IMG]

On extreme left sitting down is "The Duchess", Maud's Jewish mother Rose Hart Ledger who married out of her faith, oy vey! On extreme right sitting down is William's mother Caroline Sarah Carter nee Robins. I love her hat! The adult bridesmaid and chap in sailor costume (presumably best man) I haven't identified. The other chap is William's brother Charles. The sitting bridesmaid on the left is Maud's younger sister Ena Ledger and the one on the right is William's niece Mabel Carter, Charles' daughter.
                              Last edited by Little Nell; 22-01-08, 20:53.

Comment

My great-aunt Carrie (Caroline Ethel Williams)

[IMG][/IMG]

25 December 1918, with her husband Sidney "Tom" Major.
                                My grandfather, Carrie's brother, wrote vexedly from France that Carrie was getting married when he couldn't be there. The wedding was at Aylesbury in Walton Parish Church, but I think the photo, although it looks like there's a stained glass window in the background, was possibly taken in a studio. Such a shame that they either didn't take a family shot, or if they did, my grandfather didn't get/keep it!

I think Carrie looks quite nervous. She was just 19.
                                Last edited by Little Nell; 22-01-08, 21:35.

Comment

Interesting to see the different hemline lengths of the dresses and the tallness or not of the headdresses!

Comment

My husband's great uncle William Seldon and Clara Dorothy in 1912. Don't you just love the bride's hat?
                                    My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Sue

She could have someone's eye out with that! Who is the baby?

Comment

My parents-in-law Joseph Seldon and Evelyn Evans. 25th June 1939.
                                        My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Working...
                                        X