Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• prier/prior,cornwall

Hi,i've got a bit stuck here.
    I've traced my missus side of the family back to James Prirer(thats how it's spelt on the parish register.)who married a Mary Retnolds in St. Ewe,Cornwall in May 1784,i think her name was probably Reynolds,but thats how it's spelt on the record i've seen.
    Anyway,i can't find James age at marriage,and there's not a baptism registered for him at St.Ewe(no burial either).
    The OPC at St.Ewe kindly sent me some info,but i'm still stuck on James origins,any ideas?
    "As if by magic the shop keeper appeared"

He gets a mention on IGI, albeit it vague:

James Prirer born about 1759 St. Ewe
    married Mary Reynolds 11 May 1784

Comment

Well,

I see that the IGI has for bapts for children with the prior/Prirer surname.

Batch Number: C021831

All children to James/Mary.

I would begin by looking at the surrounding villages/towns at their records as well,

Mevagissy? thats near isnt it?

all the places listed below on the link are nearby.....

GENUKI: Gazetteer
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Family History Online

Hi alanjohn,

Have you tried Family History Online (FHOL)? They have Baptisms, Marriages and Burials for all of Cornwall (courtesy of the CFHS), as well as some MIs. It's pay-per-view, but the searches are free, and individual records are only £0.06 or £0.07 each to view.

I just had a quick look and there seem to be baptisms for two James Prior's, in 1743 and 1767 (I can't see which parishes without paying). Note that while there is a check box for surname variants, you may still need to try a few different spellings.

I believe that most of the material from FHOL will be transferred to FindMyPast sometime this year, but I don't know about the Cornwall data.

Hope this helps -

Tim
        "If we're lucky, one day our names and dates will appear in our descendants' family trees."

Comment

I've had a look at familysearch.org before,but i dont think he was born in St.Ewe,i've checked FHOL,but ill check again to be sure.
          if it's one of the fhol one's i tend to think it'll be the 1767 one,as he was married in 1784.i'll go check now,thanks for the help,alan.
          "As if by magic the shop keeper appeared"

Comment

Working...
          X