army uniform identification please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• army uniform identification please

hi, this is a picture og my ggmother & father, think it was taken early 1900's. i have been told he was in the queens lancers. i know he was serving in rawlpindi in 1904 as his eldest daughter was born there, any help would be appreciated, also if anyone can decipher what the medals may be that he's wearing would be thankful too
    teri
    Last edited by Pippa Doll; 12-11-08, 21:46.
    www.treamer.tribalpages.com
    interested in treamer, trimmer, downing, lake, spruhen/spruhan

I have a similar picture of my grandmother and her first husband. I think that your picture is back-to-front as the medals are on the wrong side and his hat is sloping the wrong way. That said I think the date is about right. There aren't many clues on the uniform though.

Comment

hi
      i realised after i'd uploaded it that it's a mirror image for some reason, still a bit of a novice with this photography and up;oad thing
      sorry

Comment

his stripes i think make him a seargent brenda xxx

Comment

Do you know his name?, only as I understand, pre 1914 service records are held at the National Archives.

Comment

Hi Bob I was just going to say you or Don were most likely to know!

Comment

hi
              thanks so far, i know he was married in 1903 which is why i thought this may have been a wedding photo, i have been told he was a regimental sergeant major in the 9th queens lancers,(not sure if this is correct) his name is william oscar lake (his daughter who was born in rawlpindi was edith gertrude lake born 1904) his wife (seen in the photo) was also edith gertrude lake william was born circa 1869, in 1891 was a steam ship engineer, would that fall in line with the dates of the boer war, sorry military history isn't my area at all
              thanks
              teri

Comment

Teri,

right way around for you.... you should be able, if you have ancestry to see his service records for the army and perhaps then find his medal card on The National Archives site.

Julie
                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Teri,

when and where was he born please?

William Oscar that is
                  Julie

Comment

Teri,

if you have ancestry, I have found something you will be interested in

click on this link

- Ancestry.co.uk

If you cant get any joy from it, PM me with your email addy, and i'll send the images to you
                    Julie

Comment

Something to add to your research, The 9th (Queens Royal ) Lancers (regiments nickname being The Delhi Spearmen) were stationed in Mutta, India, when they were ordered to mobilize and prepare for active service in South Africa. The regiment were given its orders on the 8th September 1899 and set sail from Bombay on the 24th/25th September on board three ships. They arrived in South Africa in the October and stayed there until peace with the Boers was declared, this was the 2nd Boer war (or 2nd South African War depending on which side you viewed it from which ran from 10th October 1899 to 31st March 1902). The clasps (worn on the QSA medal) awarded to the regiment (on the whole) whilst in South Africa were for, Belmont, Modder River, Relief of Kimberley, Paardeberg, Johannesburg, Diamond Hill, and lastly, Witterbergin. In the March of 1902 the regiment were back on the sea and returned to India, where in the April they could be found in Rawalpindi. They stayed in Rawalpindi until 06 when they were redeployed to South Africa. The photograph shown was taken by Alfred Yallop possibly at his studio at 197 High Street Gorleston or his other studio at 17 Harbour Quay Gorleston, he traded from both of these premises in 1904 which is why I say it is possible that that is where it was taken as I do not know where he was in Gorleston between 1896 and 1904 (he is shown as being at no; 198 High Street Gorleston in 1896). My guess is, is that this is a honeymoon photograph prior to William and Edith going to India and as the pillbox hat was replaced in 1903 by the British army in favour of the peaked forage cap this would also fit. Hope it helps.

don

Comment

Teri

This site looks as though it might be useful. On this page if you scroll down there is a Lance Sergeant W O Lake no. 3654 of the 9th Lancers who was awarded the Queens South Africa medal. Sounds like your ggfather.

</title> <base href="http://hometown.aol.co.uk/kevinasplin/CAVJL.html"> </head> <body topmargin="0" leftmargin="0" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0"> <table width="100%" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0"> <tr> <td width="100%" valign="top" al

The site owner's email address is on there and the Boer wars seem to be one of his areas of interest. There may be other things on the site of interest to you.

Jackie
                        Jackie

Comment

He had another daughter too Nellie Ethel b. 4th oct 1912 @ Canterbury.

mothers name Edith Gertrude Downing (MN). the other edith gertrude, daughter was born 27th sept 1904 @ rawlpindi.
                          Julie

Comment

Must go to bed now

see you tomorrow.
                            Julie

Comment

william was born c 1869 west ham,son of william smee lake, on the 1891 census he was aged 22 yrs and worked as a steam ship engineer and lived with the family at 14 plashet rd, west ham, he married edith gertrude downing in yarmouth (oct/nov/dec quarter 1903)

Comment

william oscar lake was born c 1869, west ham london, he was living at 14 plashet rd, west ham,1891, married edith gertude downing, great yarmouth - 1903, 1st daughter (edith gertude lake)born 1904 rawlpindi)
                                thanks
                                teri

Comment

thanks for the info night owl, will try to get the chance today to have a browse, also thanks again for your help darksecretz, you definitely have the right william, nellie ethel was my grandmother, sorry about the double posting, forgot to refresh page before replying - oops

Comment

No problems Teri,

I trust you got the other stuff??? ;)
                                    Julie

Comment

hi there
                                      i did get all the stuff, not had a chance to look at all of it properly yet, been trying to wade through my tax return - oh joy, more confusing than my family tree, and that's saying something
                                      as always thanks for it all though, hopefully this is my man

teri

Comment

sorry, meant to add, you must have the patience of a saint to have found all that, i'm patient, but perhaps i don't know the right places to look

Comment

Working...
                                        X