Which Virus Protection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Virus Protection?

Have read a couple of threads on here about this but would like some more opinions!

My Norton runs out in a couple of days time so it is urgent.

I have had Norton for about 5 years but there are a couple of things that really bug me with it. One thing is that it is taking several hours to do a scan. It starts at 8p.m. Fri night for a full scan and we have to leave the computer on overnight for it to complete the scan.

I have Webroot Spy Sweeper as well and they keep offering a package including virus protection for about £10 extra which seems good........but then I see people reccommending a free downloaded protection and I don't know what to do!!!!!

Anybody want to help me decide???????

Ive had the free AVG7.5 program for about 4 years Sue - it picked up things my paid for Mcaffee hadnt so I dumped that (my puter was totally wiped by a virus when I had Mcaffees on).

You can add spy blaster which is free

If you dont want MS firewall you can download your motherboards one or zonealarm free.

Comment

Thanks Heather - yes I've had Mcaffee in the past and dumped it (came free with something we bought for 'puter) went back to Norton.. Really pleased with Webroot spyware though - often that has picked something up and then Norton has kicked in half an hour later! Although I just do a weekly sweep with it (webroot) it is on all the time and warns me if anything untoward is happening.

Comment

Spybot can do that sue.

Comment

I use AVG as well.
          also Ad-Aware 2007, and Spybot

Have you booked your holidays yet ?
          Why not come to Norfolk we have some great churches for you to photograph

Shake my family tree and watch the nuts fall.

Looking for Druce-Berkshire. Auvache , James, Hughes - London. Turp - Essex. Dipple, - Herefordshire.

Regional Co ordinator Eastern Region

Comment

Thanks - have just downloaded AVG as I only had 1 day left on my Norton. Hopefully I won't encounter any problems - just a little concerned at losing my 'anti spam' but I will see how I get on.

Comment

I have used AVG for ages. No problem except the slight delay while it downloads the updates on booting up each day.
              Grampa Jim passed away September 2011

Comment

You can get spyblaster and lots of free downloads sue. I dont think I have anti spam for my emails but there is def a free download that was recommended by several people on here for that.

Comment

Well it is installed and on running it for the first time it found a virus which Norton had missed - computer running much quicker now.

Comment

Oh brilliant sue, bet thats pleased you. Make sure you set it to update automatically from the internet and it will do it every day without you having to remember. Probably best to uninstall the nortons now as two running can cause probs.

I just remembered the spam freebie everyone recommended is mailwasher:
                    Download | MailWasher

Comment

Thanks Heather!

yes I was pretty pleased - puter has not been playing nicely for a while - have done more scans than normal which have taken hours and hours to do and have never found anything. The inital AVG scan took 1hr 53min and found something in the first 5 mins, luckily it was just the one, but everything is running much quicker now. Have set it to automatically update, and to scan daily as well.

had to uninstall Norton before installing AVG - will download that mailwasher tomorrow - thanks again.

Comment

Have saved all this advice for when I get the courage to do something about my Norton. Liz
                        Liz

Comment

Norton doesn't uninstall itself and can still cause problems when it's gone.
                          Use the removal tool to get shut.

Download and run the Norton Removal Tool

Bob
                          I am never wrong. I once thought I was wrong but I was wrong.

Comment

Thanks for this thread all of you, I've just successfully loaded free AVG, rather than paying for Norton again.
                            Mavis
                            Dust is a noun, never a verb;)

Comment

Mavis dont forget to add a free firewall like zone alarm, AVG is just an anti virus.

Comment

nudge for Mo

Comment

Thanks Val

Lurkers Club

Comment

nudged

Comment

just nudging so i can find this thread again.
                                      Jen

Comment

Just purchased Norton 360 - bargain at £29.99 [curry's] -to replace by Norton 2007 anivirus prog. Very impressed with the whole prog - specially the speed - seems to run itself!

Comment

Working...
                                        X