Help with FTM Book please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with FTM Book please

The good people on GR suggested I come and post on here.
    I tried yesterday to compile a book on FTM 2006 and then when I try to preview the book I get a message saying if you have probs viewing the book try downloading update version of Adobe which I have done and still can't view it. So I thought I'd save it and try and open it later but when I export it as recommended by FTM as a PDF file I can't find it on my computer!!!
    Please help!!!
    Di

This may sound a daft response but can you check whether you have a Family Tree Maker Printer in your Printers folders.
    Go to Start / Control Panel / Printers and Scanners.

Have you installed a new printer recently?
    Elaine

Comment

Elaine
      Thank you for replying.
      No I haven't got FTM printer installed and the printer which is the default I have had for a while now.
      I really want to be able to preview the book but can't.
      Di

Comment

It is necessary to have a FTM printer installed to allow some of the functions of FTM to work correctly! It just appears as an icon in your printer file - doesn't mean that you have a separate dedicated printer for the program. (Sounds daft I know!)

Have a look at this solution in the FTM Online help centre and see if you can follow it
        Answer

If not there is a very good dedicated FTM forum
        Family Tree Maker Error Messages and Display Problems Forum
        - where there is a resident "expert" by the name of Russ Worthington. I am sure he will be able to help you.
        Elaine

Comment

Elaine
          Thank you. I had seen this written somewhere but thought I'd read that you needed your own default printer not FTM. Oh well, I'll go and read up your links. Many thanks again
          Di

Comment

Might have confused you - it isn't a printer as such - you obviously use your default printer when needed. I believe it is an FTM driver that is needed to generate the data for pdf viewing and printing.

Bit technical for me - but I do know that by not having it there can be problems!
            Hope you manage to sort it and sorry I couldn't be of more help.
            Elaine

Comment

Elaine
              Thanks again.
              On checking my printer settings again I do have FTM but it was hidden by the default printer icon. I have read the posts on Genforum and tried what H R Worthington suggested to another poster who was having a similar problem but no joy. I have emailed FTM direct and hope they respond. I wondered if my copy of FTM which was new about 6 months ago from a bargain basement section of Game is faulty.
              Di

Comment

Hello Di,

I have just been having a look at what you are trying to do, I havent made a book before, but just had a little "play" by creating a book and title page etc... (I have FTM 2005)

Question, Do you have a "pop up blocker on"???

the PDF opens in a new window, and if pop ups are blocked it can't "pop up" If you see what I mean.
                Julie
                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Jules.
                  Will double check but I thought I had disabled it yesterday when I was trying to do this.
                  Thanks
                  Di

Comment

No worries,

I know that there are a few members that have created books with FTM, maybe they might be able to advise a bit better, but I don't know if they are online yet.

I'll keep a look out

Oh Btw.. Welcome to Family Tree Forum ;)
                    Julie

Comment

Jules According to my son it must be within another programme on my computer as he couldn't disable it yesterday. (now he tells me) any ideas please.
                      Di
                      Would it be in AVG?
                      Last edited by Tropicalmoment Queen; 21-01-08, 16:21.

Comment

Julie - I have created a book and it doesn't matter on my computer if pop ups are blocked or not!

Reading through the help line and help forum it does appear to be linked to the FTM drivers.
                        Elaine

Comment

No that didn't work either. I'm really annoyed now as I have spent the best part of the last 24 hours trying to do this.
                          Di

Comment

I am wondering if reinstallation of FTM might help.
                            Elaine

Comment

Elaine
                              Thank and I was ahead of you with that idea but I can't find it at the mo. Think I'll have a good root after tea and if I can't find it I'll get a copy tomorrow and try again. Wouldn't mind but I bought 3 copies for a tenner and gave the other 2 away!!
                              Di

Comment

Di,

the disc isnt still in your CD drive is it??

if you have any info on FTM, might be better to create a GEDCOM, then uninstall FTM and then re-install it like Elaine says...

But use the "add/remove" programs in control panel.

sorry I couldnt be of more help.
                                Julie

Comment

Certainly worth making a back up your data file - and I would suggest back up rather than a gedcom as any photos or notes that you have in your file will not be retained if you make a gedcom file.
                                  Elaine

Comment

Julie/Elaine
                                    I have found my CD and it's the WDYTYA version. I have backed up my FTM Tree etc and willnow uninstall and reinstall and see what happens.
                                    Thankyou both for you suggestions and I'll come back and let you know if I have any luck.
                                    Di

Comment

Fingers crossed!
                                      Elaine

Comment

Guess what....................

It works yippee.
                                        I am so grateful for your help.

Di:p

I feel such a thicko for not trying this yesterday but thought it was my computer or me doing something wrong.

Comment

Working...
                                        X