Quick question....Register references

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick question....Register references

If I have a marriage reference for a relative is there any way I can find out who they married without:

a) buying the certificate
    b) spending hours and hours trawling through the records for that quarter.

I have absolutely no idea who the lady is, my relative is Albion Ledger and he doesn't seem to appear on the free bmd site for marriage or death.

The marriage reference is 3Q Marylebone 1a p1289 and a son Cyril was born in 1907 (from a handwritten tree my father did in the 1960/70s) but no mention of the Lady's name.

There may be more children but I doubt it as on the tree Albion's brother is named and underneath him 4 children in Australia but again no wife's name!

I have another gem on a different branch Reginald Fowler + 3 children (in Zululand)
    Bo

At present: Marshall, Smith, Harding, Whitford, Lane (in and around Winchcomb).

Free BMD Marriages for 1901 shows he married either

Eleanor Locke or Maud Edith M Palmer

Marylebone 1a 1289

Obviously best way is to buy the certificate but you could see if they had any children born after 1911 when MMNs are shown in the registers.
    Elaine

Comment

I've just checked on FreeBMD, nothing with MMN Locke or Palmer.

Comment

Many thanks Mary - I wonder why he didn't turn up when I used the Free one. I was probably doing it wrong!
        Bo

At present: Marshall, Smith, Harding, Whitford, Lane (in and around Winchcomb).

Comment

My husband has Ledgers in his tree, but no Albion! They came from Cobham, Surrey and settled in St Martin in the Fields/Covent Garden area of London.
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

The other thing to try is to see if you can find any children born to the other couple on the same page after 1911. The other husband in this case is Louis Hemington Pegler, but I can't see any Pegler / Palmer or Pegler / Locke births. Then of course you could wait for the 1911 census or the new GRO index with spouse's surname on, but it might be a while yet.
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

However, a few results come up on Google for Louis Hemington Pegler, so hopefully if we put our minds to it we can find out the name of his wife...
              KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
              (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                However, a few results come up on Google for Louis Hemington Pegler, so hopefully if we put our minds to it we can find out the name of his wife...
                She gets a mention in the TDA - in 1931 as "his widow" (I spotted no visible name) :(

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I have had a bit of a look in teh death (and marriage) notices to see if they get a mention after his death. I've got up to 1945 without recognising a likely candidate.

Christine
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

There are a couple of trees on Ancestry that show Louis Pegler married to Mary Edith Palmer. No sources, though.

Comment

Might be worth looking for references to Mary Edith Pegler in TDA etc?

Christine

Comment

Working...
                      X