Can you find Grizzelle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you find Grizzelle?

I have the birth cert. for Grizelle Blackie Low, 10th May 1862, in Dumfries.
    Parents John Hepburn Low & Mary Frazer Mcharg Low (maiden name Graham).

I can find her parents in Birkenhead in 1867 (witnesses to a marriage) and I have a sibling born/died Birkenhead 1866/7, John died B/head in 1870 and Mary is listed as widow on 1871 with a daughter, Ellen, 3yrs.

I can find no trace of Grizelle after her birth. Can anyone else find her?

I've just read through what I've written and Mary & Ellen are a mystery too after 1871. Any help very gratefully received.

Cath
    Cath.

Can you give the reference for Mary and Ellen in 1871.
    Elaine

Comment

Couldn't see a marriage or death in Scotland for Grizelle.

Elaine
      This is the one I was looking at for Ellen in 1871
      Source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 3747; Folio: 144; Page: 8; GSU roll: 842138.

For Ellen it says she was born in Birkenhead as was her mother Mary c1848?????
      Last edited by JBee; 21-01-08, 13:45.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Oh! Oh! Oh!

Maybe I can help you here - Grisel/Grizel etc, is Gaelic for Grace and she may have used that name (Grace) in the lowlands of Dumfries.

It worked backwards for me - I finally found my Grace, baptised as Grisel.

OC

Comment

My copy of RG10/3747 shows Mary born Scotland, age has a line through it but it is 33 as she was born in Dumfries on 18th June, 1837. She is living with her younger sister Caroline Mason Pye who was also born Dumfries in 1848.

Thanks OC I tried Grace after seeing it suggested here one day last week.
          Cath.

Comment

Sorry not having any joy

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Not got anywhere with Grizel, but there is a birth registration for a Helen Low, Dec 1867 Birkenhead, vol 8a p 408. Could that be Ellen's birth?
              KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
              (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

By the way, Ellen's birth place on the 1871 is just given as "England", so if that Helen Low birth reg turns out not to be her then it could possibly be that she was born somewhere other than Birkenhead.
                KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by Cath RJ View Post

I can find her parents in Birkenhead in 1867 (witnesses to a marriage) and I have a sibling born/died Birkenhead 1866/7, John died B/head in 1870 and Mary is listed as widow on 1871 with a daughter, Ellen, 3yrs.
                  Is the marriage one of a family member of either of them ? it might help to know that
                  Jess

Comment

Thanks for replies - sorry I haven't been able to get back to you sooner.

I must say Helen Low 1867 B/head looks promising but I still can''t find her in 1881.

Jess - the marriage is for the couple she is with in 1871, ie Joseph & Caroline Pye.

Cath
                    Cath.

Comment

Working...
                    X