Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1911 Census

Hello all

I have just had an email from find my past they are talking about using census' to trace your family, in it they say that at the end of 2008 the 1911 census will be avalible surely this is not right?

It is right, Kelly, because a decision in a recent case means that most of the info from the 1911 census can be made available before the 100 years is up after all. Only certain sensitive data is being held back until 2012 - I think it is basically just the last column to do with disabilities. In fact, if you want a specific address looking up you can order a copy of it already, but it costs £45.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Owwww how exciting I hadn't heard that!! I knew I could get a look up done for me at a cost but I didn't realise they had decided to relise it early!!!! Thank you Kite

Comment

yipee !!!!!!!!!!!;)

Comment

I hadn't realised it was released quite that soon.
          Lynn

Comment

I can't see anything about the 1911 census on my emails from findmypast, though. *waits impatiently*
            KiteRunner

Comment

Kite the title of the email was 'build out your family tree using censuses' It came over the weekend

Comment

Before you get too excited - the release will START in 2008 and will be done by area, as each area is completed.

I have heard rumours that they are having problems with the digitising of the images and the project is behind schedule already.

As London will certainly be the first area to be released, some of the rest of us, with no London ancestors might have to wait till December 2011 for our areas!

OC

Comment

London is good for me , then Lincolnshire please.
                  Lynn

Comment

London is good for me too, but then i would like newcastle!

Comment

I was getting all excited as I'm desperate to find out what happened to two of my great uncles and a great aunt, but as all my family are from "out in the sticks" I suppose they will be the last to be released.

Jane

Comment

Wonder how long I'll have to wait

unless Salford is included with Manchester

and my missing rellie is there!!!!!

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Most of mine are in the North East, Durham, Northumberland with a few North West. The rest I've got up to 1930 as they went over the pond to the USA.
                          Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                            Before you get too excited - the release will START in 2008 and will be done by area, as each area is completed.

I have heard rumours that they are having problems with the digitising of the images and the project is behind schedule already.

As London will certainly be the first area to be released, some of the rest of us, with no London ancestors might have to wait till December 2011 for our areas!

OC
                            *thanks Olde Crone for chucking cold water on us all:(*
                            Rose

Comment

Rosie

Just want people to be realistic and not disappointed when they find out, lol!

And....they are being rather coy about the cost of accessing the beta project, too. It will certainly be a pay per view service.

OC

Comment

lol, I realise you have got our best interests at heart OC :D

Do we know if Ancestry will have it or will it be like the 1901 with its own site? (which will no doubt be overloaded with searches and keep crashing as soon as it is launched...)
                                Rose

Comment

Rosie, because the company who have the contract with TNA is Scotland Online, we think it will most likely have its own website to begin with, but I can't imagine that ancestry won't get it eventually.

London - whoopee! All my most mysterious British rellies were from London!
                                  KiteRunner

Comment

London is good news, providing it includes the bits around the outside of London .............. fingers crossed.

Comment

My only known London rellie moved out in about 1820...

Is this right, or am I going completely barmy - thought I heard somewhere that the original returns from 1911 were preserved, so we get to see our rellies' handwriting rather than just the enumerators'?
                                      Michael, aged 1/4 of a century

Comment

Yes Michael, that's my understanding too.

"The first part of the 1911 census will be available towards the end of 2008. It is being released slightly early under Freedom of Information legislation, although entries containing potentially sensitive information remain hidden until January 2012."

source: Get going with your family history
                                        ~ with love from Little Nell~
                                        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Working...
                                        X