Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is this my cooper?

Hi
    Some of you probably remember my previous post about Stevens / Cooper family. Recevied another Cert this morning which comfirmed my Margaret Jones was not married to Mr stevens as she shows herself as a spinster on her Marriage Cert to Mr Cooper.
    I am looking for Willam Cooper on the census he was born in poplar abt 1870/1871 his occupation on marriage cert is Coal heaver and his fathers name is Henry Cooper and he is a stevedore.
    I have him on the 1901 census living with his wife but wanted to try and find him before he married.
    This might be him in 1871 RG10 573 folio 11 page 22 what do you think could this be them? I am not sure and cannot seem to find him on later census.
    GWEN

Gwen, So glad that the marriage cert has sorted that for you!!
    I meant to get back to you after your PM and I was going to say that In my Dad's case, his mum married as a spinster 2 years after dad was born. Even so, she was down on Dad's birth cert as though she was married and it was the same on the birth cert of dad's sister who was born 2 years previously. I searched for months for her marriage and then found her marriage to her 2nd? husband under her maiden name. Like you when I sent for that cert, it confirmed that inspite of having 2 children registered in their father's name, my Grandparents were never married.

William Cooper...what a horrible name to find on the census!! LOL!!
    Will go & have a look for you.

Comment

Gwen, that looks very likely for 1871 census. If you are right, this could be them in 1881:
      RG11; Piece: 506; Folio: 51; Page: 26

Comment

Sorry can't find anything on 1891, except a William Cooper in a workhouse...he was born Bow, London.
        RG12; Piece: 337; Folio 73; Page 4

Comment

Thanks Lynn I think it is them but not be able to find them on 1881 1891. I think what puzzled me on 1871 was his fathers occupation was mariner. But if that is them you found in 1881 his occupation is stevedore engine driver and that is what is on the marraige cert. I wonder why he is calling himself Matthew.
          It is bad enough looking for Coopers Jones and Stevens without them changing their christian names. Margaret Jones started calling herself Margaretta.
          I think this tree will be the death of me!!!! LOL I am very disappointed for my-sister--law as I am not going to be able to search any further back now on the Stevens side I have really tried to find some clues for her great Grandfather but as there was no marraige registered it is like looking for a needle in a haystack especially with a name like Stevens so going to have to concede. Thats is why I thought I would try and give her some information regarding the family that bought her grandfather up the Coopers.
          I will look now in 1891 and see if I can find him under Matthew.
          thanks again.
          Last edited by Gwen@coggiecorner; 21-01-08, 12:04.
          GWEN

Comment

Thanks again Lyn I saw that one in 1891 and wondered.
            GWEN

Comment

Probably his name was Matthew Henry Cooper.
              The son is Matthew H as well and there is a birth for Mathew Henry Cooper in Mar Qtr 1862 at Poplar 1c/655

Comment

Gwen, where did you find the mention of Stevedore/Engine Driver on the 1881 census. I thought that the one I gave you was a labourer...or am I going doolalley-tip?

Comment

Sorry been doing the ironing and it is not you its me you are are right it does say labourer. I got it confused it was the Cooper family also that I was looking at that read engine driver Stevedore. Sorryyyyyyyyyyyy
                  GWEN

Comment

Working...
                  X