Brotherton marriage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brotherton marriage

I am still searching for the marriage of Stephen Brotherton and Sarah Hams. 1837c, Their first child was born 1838 Shifnal Shropshire. I have searched local registers to Shifnal with no luck. Any help appreciated.
    jean charlton

Hi Jean

where was Stephen from? Was he born in Shropshire?
    Vikki -
    Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Comment

Was he Brotherton when he got married? I have Brewertons who have been married as Broughton, Burton and Bruton.
      If it's to be, it's up to me.
      Searching for:
      English: Brewerton, Wilkes, Edwards, Broughton, Piercy, Brundred, Homer, Parry, Wynn, Nock, Noden, Standley and Taylor.

Scottish: McDougall,Gemmell, Hunter, Stewart, Campbell, Downs, Galt, Frew, Hill, Hand, Main, Thomson, McLarty and Murdock.

Comment

I know this is probably a very stupid Q, but is it correct tha the bride's name should be Hams and not Harris??

Comment

thaks for message. Stephen was born in Birmingham 1805c. I have his birth and parents, HAMS is the name I am looking for in the marriage, I have other relatives to this family with the name Hams. Living in Shropshire
          jean charlton

Comment

Hi thanks for message. Brotherton is the name on the cert for Sarah Brotherton 08.1838 I have looked at alot of other ways spellings but no luck. Mothers name was formerly Mary HAMS. and she was born Shropshire, 1806c. I am thinking could she have been married before but have had no findings as yet. What do you think? jEAN
            jean charlton

Comment

hI. Thanks for message. I have tried other surnames liking to Brotherton.but no luck. Sarah Brotherton born 08 1838 Shifnal Shropshire. her mother is or was Mary formerly HAMS. I have other relatives to this family with the name Hams. I am thinking now that Mary Hams could have been married before, but have not found any trace as yet. Do you think this could be so? JEAN
              jean charlton

Comment

Originally posted by jean charlton View Post
                thaks for message. Stephen was born in Birmingham 1805c. I have his birth and parents, HAMS is the name I am looking for in the marriage, I have other relatives to this family with the name Hams. Living in Shropshire
                Butthere's still a point in Merry's message. The name may be HAMS - but it's very vulnerable to being transcribed as HARRIS.

Worth having a look out on that basis?

As a parallel example, the old script L and S looked very similar. I have a SANSBURY transcribed on the IGI as LANSBURY.

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hi Jean,

I have just been looking at this and checking a few census records.

Are you looking for the marriage between Stephen and Mary Brotherton that are living in Shaw Lane Shifnal in 1851. They are there with their children Sarah 12, Emma 10 and Jane 9?

Allie
                  Researching Betton, Cook/Cooke, Fallows, Howell, Jones, Lewis, Morgan, Rogers, Weston. All in Shropshire.

Richards in Denbighshire.

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                    Butthere's still a point in Merry's message. The name may be HAMS - but it's very vulnerable to being transcribed as HARRIS.

Worth having a look out on that basis?

As a parallel example, the old script L and S looked very similar. I have a SANSBURY transcribed on the IGI as LANSBURY.

Christine
                    Thanks Christine!

The only reason I mentioned it was there was a Harris living with them in 1841 who was about the right age to be father of the bride.....so a very long shot. Having spent a whole TEN years reading Daniel as David on a marriage cert I just thought I'd better check!! lolol

Comment

I noticed that too Merry, but was not sure if I was following the right family.

Jean's first post is asking for help to find a marriage between a Stephen Brotherton and Sarah Hams

Jean, If this is the right family, you may try looking at the parish records for either Stretton or Bridgnorth.
                      In 1851, Mary's place of birth is given as Stretton and in 1871 it is Bridgnorth. She may have married in her birth parish. Worth a try??

Allie x
                      Researching Betton, Cook/Cooke, Fallows, Howell, Jones, Lewis, Morgan, Rogers, Weston. All in Shropshire.

Richards in Denbighshire.

Comment

Working...
                      X