X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where were they 1841???

Hi all,

Found them on all census but 1841!!

Margaret Armstrong (mn Ogilvie) b1794 Glasgow Lanarkshire.

Annabella Armstrong b1832 Lanarkshire......No birth recorded!

On Margarets death cert(1877) she was widow of Thomas Armstrong.....can't find marriage.

Could they of been missed off?

Lynne

where were they living on the census you found them on?
    Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

Hi Zoe

They were living in Barony.

1851+ Annabella Davidson (mn Armstrong).

Comment

Lynne, where have you been looking for the marriage and birth? Did you know that civil registration didn't start until 1855 in Scotland? So for anything before 1855 you need to look in the Old Parochial Records (OPRs) on ScotlandsPeople. And the OPRs only cover Church of Scotland baptisms and marriages. Ancestry does not hold these records, and its Scottish census transcriptions can also be a bit suspect.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thanks Uncle John,

Have looked at OPR, nothing.

I have found Margaret Ogilvies birth and her siblings, even her parents marriage.

Just a bit baffled not finding any thing at all on her marriage or birth of any children......she is the only one I can't find.

Another reason not to get involved with a scotsman!!!!!(yes mother)

Comment

It's possible the married in a "dissenting" church, whose records could be at the National Archives of Scotland. There were many schisms and amalgamations over the centuries so finding them is a matter of luck.

A pair of my ancestors married in the Church of Scotland but I can find no record of the children's baptisms. They were a religious family. Some of the children either became or married ministers.
            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I found a marriage in 1822 in Edinburgh at the High Church but never found any christenings for their children.

Then it was said that whatever relgion they were Banns had to be read at the Church of Scotland and so to also look at non-conformists/catholic records.

Found both actual marriage and christenings there.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Working...
              X