Why do I keep getting disconnected?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do I keep getting disconnected?

My internet connection keeps disconnecting. :( I am with AOL Broadband.
    Any clues why and what can I do about it please?

Joy

That happened to me last September time, it was driving me mad! I asked around neighbours and found the same was happening to them, although we all had different providers. It turned out to be a fault at bt exchange. My provider took it up with bt, - result four days later all was well.
    Rita

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/.../User:Nappycat

Comment

Well, we kept losing the connection and were sure (I was anyway :o) that it wasn't us! However, just in case, we got out the instructions that came with the router and did all the connecting and disconnecting of phone lines as advised and ...... it turned out it was us.

We had a second phone on a long spur extension lead. It had a proper microfilter and has been OK for 2 years. When we connected and disconnected this line (several times to make sure!) we found the internet broadband came and went at the same moment. The lead must have deteriorated - who knows? Never mind .... Now we have some nice new phones and have abandoned that long lead! Our broadband has been perfect and also faster since then.

Anne

Comment

Here is a list of Exchange outages :-

BT Major Service Outages

I dont know if your exchange if one of these. If it's not the
        problem could either be BT or down to your equipment, e.g
        modem/router, wiring or microfilters.

The first thing I would check would be wiring and microfiters.
        Do you have a spare microfilters and cable that plugs into
        Modem/router, then into microfilter ? If you do try changing
        them over. If not any chance you could buy or borrow some.

Another thing do you have any problems with the phone line, e.g
        crackly or any other noises ? This could mean BT issue, I have had
        this a few times with ADSL line.

Hope this helps

Clare

Comment

Thanks everyone .... nice to know it's not my fault ! :D

Last edited by Rachel Scand; 26-02-08, 21:42.
          ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

I have been having problems for ages. I kept phoning Orange and they said it must be a fault on the line. Checked with BT line OK Last week my phone started to have problems calls just went to my call minder service. I phoned BT again and they sent an engineer. With some equipment he had he found that the fault was 23 metres from the phone which was up the pole outside. He clambered up the pole in the pouring rain and found that the wires inside the junction box were squashed. He adjusted and cleaned them now everything is OK. I haven't been disconnected once.
            PAT

Comment

Thank you all for your advice.

I will re-check the routers, filters etc. but I think BT would be the next place to try. Fingers crossed, though, I haven't been cut off for a while but my computer has been running very slow at times. No good when trying to keep up with the quizzes :o

Joy

Comment

Hi Cat
                Don't have this problem with cable why not change Virgin are in your area!!!
                Don't have filters
                yorkshirelad

Comment

Ive been having problems for a few days with my outlook express not immediately sending or receiving, last time it happened there was a server down. Im on talktalk

Comment

I know I'm a bit late Joy, but I'm having the same problem with AOL since they changed me over to BBDial. This is my second attempt at replying as I was cut off!!:( I'm in a queue on LiveHelp to see what they say about it. I'm 47th in the queue at the moment!!

Comment

Originally posted by Heather Positive Thinker View Post
                      Ive been having problems for a few days with my outlook express not immediately sending or receiving, last time it happened there was a server down. Im on talktalk
                      Hi Heather
                      Thats another problem I've been having recently. I am finding that some e-mails aren't reaching their destination. Someone said it could be that I was sending to a Hotmail address. I wonder if anyone else has had this problem.

Fingers crossed, my connection seems ok at the moment.

Joy

Comment

It's time you all went on to cable!
                        There's a better Microsoft e mailer its just Outlook this is in the windows package or Office or as free download
                        I stopped using expess years ago
                        It works like Word
                        Firefox also do one.

Comment

Originally posted by yorkshirelad View Post
                          There's a better Microsoft e mailer its just Outlook this is in the windows package or Office or as free download
                          I stopped using expess years ago
                          It works like Word
                          Firefox also do one.
                          Thank you J. I will e-mail you about it as I'm not sure what you mean That's, of course, if it reaches you. :D

Joy

Comment

Originally posted by yorkshirelad View Post

We would love to - but as we don't live in a city centre its not available to us:(
                            Barbara

Comment

Working...
                            X