Looking for Robert HODGES, son of Robert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Robert HODGES, son of Robert

I put a post up a few days ago looking for Robert and his family in 1891, but nobody could find him. Since then I have received his wedding certificate which is not really very helpful - it says he's of full age :(, a bachelor, a dealer (fits with census occupations), resident in Bethnal Green (no actual adress), and his father is given as Robert HODGES, deceased, and no occupation given.

The census I can definitely find him gives his birth details as follows:

1861 - Age 23 born Hertfordshire - RG9; Piece: 209; Folio: 85; Page: 14
    1871 - Age 33 born Middlesex, Shoreditch - RG10; Piece: 411; Folio: 28; Page: 26
    1881 - Age 43, born Hertfordshire - RG11; Piece: 365; Folio: 18; Page: 30
    1891 - missing
    1901 - Age 62, born London, Shoreditch - RG13; Piece: 264; Folio: 177; Page: 1

His age increases consistently through the census, so he's born about 1838, but is is Middlesex or Hertfordshire? I can't seem to find him in 1841 or 1851, so wonder if anybody else can.

The only possible on IGI that I can see is a Robert John HODGE, (no s) christened 9th July 1837 in St Alban Wood St, London with parents Robert and Sarah.
    Pauline
    xx
    OPC Lanlivery, Lanivet & Newquay
    www.mumsiep.tribalpages.com

I'd discount the Middlesex bit except he specifies Shoreditch twice. So why say Herts? If he'd been born somewhere on the borders it would make sense.

I'll have a look 1851 and 1841. I suppose it depends who gave the info to the enumerator - does he have other family members born Shoreditch or Herts? And where is he living in census?
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

This birth would fit with Shoreditch (St Luke is next door)
      Robert Hodges
      1838 Oct-Nov-Dec St Luke Middlesex Volume: 2 Page: 217

Comment

Hi Nell,

I saw that one. Think I might have to squander £7 to see whether it's my man or not. I was really hoping to be able to find him in 1841. Hope somebody has some joy.
        Pauline
        xx

Comment

********* Just found probable Robert born St Lukes in 1841 in St Lukes with father JOHN!!!

Can;t find him elsewhere. Sorry. I can only think that perhaps he was known by another name in his early life.

Comment

Nell

I got excited when I saw that one as well :( It's the closest I can find in 1841. I've even trawled through all Roberts born in 1838 on the 1851 census, and I can't even see a possible mistranscription for him.
            Pauline
            xx

Comment

Got to disppear for a while to get tea. Will check back later.
              Pauline
              xx

Comment

Were the marriage witnesses of any use?

Comment

Hi Merry,

Marriage witnesses are Harriet Burlow and Emma Edwards. Harriet is an elder sister to Robert's wife Ann. I have no idea who Emma is though. By the 1881 census, there are 2 neices living with the familiy with the surname Barlow, but I think this is more like to be the Burlow family. Sadly this is of no help to finding Robert though.
                  Pauline
                  xx

Comment

Working...
                  X