Any Advice Please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Advice Please?

I would like to trace Coborn Road Stratford le bow Middlesex in 1841. Is there any advice how to do this please? On address search(findmypast) there is no records. It has been transcribed as Cobow Road in one census, but 1841 I cannot find it.
    Rita

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/.../User:Nappycat

If you have it on other censuses, you could try looking for the same families in the hope that they were living there in 1841.

It would be listed in the enumeration district descriptions on Ancestry but as with all London areas there will be pages and pages to go through.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

This should take you to the right page on Ancestry:

1841 England Census - Ancestry.co.uk

There are 10 districts. If you click on View description of the enumeration district you should get a list of the streets included in that district. You can then return to the page and click on the actual district number to view the census pages.

Comment

Thank you Little Nell, I haven't had any luck so far, but you have given me plenty to explore!!
        Rita

Comment

On Ancestry there's 7,000 people listed for Stratford le Bow in 1851, but under 200 for 1841.

Now it might be that Ancestry has mis-indexed it in 1841, but more likely a large part has gone astray :o

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
            This should take you to the right page on Ancestry:

1841 England Census - Ancestry.co.uk

There are 10 districts. If you click on View description of the enumeration district you should get a list of the streets included in that district. You can then return to the page and click on the actual district number to view the census pages.

Erm, those page sare for Stratford in Essex. Isn't Stretford le Box in Middlesex?

Comment

The only bit for Stratford le Bow in 1841 is something called the Grove Hall Establishment which is full of boarders (no occs listed).

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                Erm, those page sare for Stratford in Essex. Isn't Stretford le Box in Middlesex?
                That's the same Stratford. There aren't two of them. Also known as Stratford atte Bower.
                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

1841 seems to have lumped it under West Ham.

BTW my brother-in-law was studying at Stratford Poly in the 1980s when he was accosted by an American tourist looking for Anne Hathaway's Cottage!!!

Comment

Years ago I was minding my own business near a street underpass not far from Holborn Underground station when a Yank asked me if this was the Subway. I replied that it was a subway but that the Underground was over there.
                    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

If you're tracking a property through the censuses, you'll need to make sure you know if/when the street numbers were changed. It did happen from time to time.

Christine
                      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thank you Merry you have really cheered me up! Would a different site have it on? I was thinking of Genes, but am loathe to give them £5. They don't say how much each view is either
                        Rita

Comment

Don't know if this helps, but I have an oldish map, undated but priced at !s. 6d., and mentions the Southern Railway, so before nationalisation of the railways.

This shows Coburn Road as in Bow and post area E.3. Next area east is Stratford and E.15.

I think it might come under Tower Hamlets today????

Comment

Thanks Roger I will see if I can find an 1841 map of the area.
                            Rita

Comment

Thanks Elaine, I wanted to see if it was there in 1841.
                              Rita

Comment

I've had this useful link in my favourites for a long time:
                                MOTCO - Image Database

I think there may be more in the Wiki?

Christine
                                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Use this address to go to Greenwood's map (I think you can only buy from MOTCO now):

Greenwood's Map Sheet C10U

Zoom in. If you look to the North of Bow Common, off the Mile End Road, there is a Coburn Road.

Carol

Comment

Thankyou Carol and Christine will try them both.
                                    Rita

Comment

The index on the CD set of London 1841 says:
                                      Poplar
                                      Coburn Road (Mile End Road/Bow Road)
                                      West side HO107/piece 713 book 2 folios 22-24
                                      East Side MISSING in Bow SD
                                      Hope your people weren't living on the East side of the road!
                                      Last edited by JudithM; 24-01-08, 11:49.
                                      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Oh thanks for that Judith, I think they must have been, which would explain why I can't find my Chambers family in 1841!! If it isn't on the cd set I don't think I would be able to find it anywhere else!!
                                        Rita

Comment

Working...
                                        X