Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think I am on a roll, but could do with a push!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I am on a roll, but could do with a push!

Thanks to the Generation game, I've made contact with a 6th cousin, who has his tree on ancestry. He has George Levy, c1891 Chatham (shoemaker)his wife Sarah and 2 sons Franklin Thomas c1822 Chatham and William c1831 St Lukes. Elaine very kindly found me Franklin's bp in Chatham & when I checked it on Cityark, it showed his mother as being Mary Ann not Sarah & he had 2 younger sisters as well. So I thought, Mary Ann must have died & George had moved to London & married Sarah & had son William. But I had a look on IGI to see if William's baptism was there & I found one for a William Hanks Levy, at St Lukes Old Street Finsbury 13/3/1831, parents Mary Ann & George. I have William with George & Sarah in 1841 & at a school for the blind (thanks Nell) in 1851. William Hanks Levy, died in 1874 in Hendon, but I have been unable to find him or my William in 1861/71, to prove they are they same person. Can anyone else find him/them please?
    Lynn

Can you give the 1851 census ref please
    Elaine

Comment

HO107 1492 337 24. Nell was looking at this for me on my other thread.
      I have just found a marriage for William Hanks Levy to Anna Wrangle 11/12/1852 in Spitalfields
      Last edited by Lynn The Forest Fan; 20-01-08, 13:17.
      Lynn

Comment

Judging what you said on other thread is this him - look at occ with wrong age? transcribed Class: RG9; Piece: 103; Folio: 103; Page: 60; GSU roll: 542574.

He is director for "something" for the Blind

Comment

Originally posted by Lynn The Forest Fan View Post
          HO107 1492 337 24. Nell was looking at this for me on my other thread.
          I have just found a marriage for William Hanks Levy to Anna Wrangle 11/12/1852 in Spitalfields
          Ooh -. Anna Wrangle was the matron on the school on the 1851 census - twice the age of William.
          Elaine

Comment

That is excellent Kim. I've checked the image & his age is 30 and it fits in perfectly with the marriage that I found for William Hanks Levy.
            Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
              Ooh -. Anna Wrangle was the matron on the school on the 1851 census - twice the age of William.
              Oh this is all fitting together Lovely, I really am on a roll. Just to find them in 1871 now. I think I've found Ann in 1881, with a dob of 1842
              Lynn

Comment

?? Anna's death registration from freeBMD

Deaths Mar 1895
                Anna Hanks LEVY
                aged 85
                Hendon 3a 166
                Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 20-01-08, 13:35.
                Elaine

Comment

Anna in 1891
                  RG12; Piece: 1045; Folio 63; Page 39;

what was the 1881 census you thought you had found?
                  Elaine

Comment

I found it via family search. But I have just googled his name & found loads of references, but they say that he married Emmeline Mary Jolin
                    Lynn

Comment

Can't see anything on freeBMD for a Levy/Jolin marriage - and on the website I am looking at there is no date given for the marriage.
                      Elaine

Comment

I can't find a marriage looking on ancestry or even theat this Emaline exists . The marriage to Anna Wrangle makes sense, perhaps he was a widower when he married. I thought it was strange that the website had them as marrying, but didn't even include a year
                        Lynn

Comment

Might be worth contacting one of the web site owners to see what evidence they have of that marriage.
                          Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 20-01-08, 14:07.
                          Elaine

Comment

You might be right,as I can see no sign of a marriage & can't find Emaline anywhere either. It looks like Willaim was quite well known though, at last, fame in the family. I will have to check the papers to see if he is mentioned anywhere.
                            Lynn

Comment

I am trying get on to the Times Digitial Archives at the moment but it wont let me! :(:(

Update - just got in but nothing there.
                              Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 20-01-08, 14:13.
                              Elaine

Comment

Possible 1881
                                Anna Levi
                                Class: RG11; Piece: 1363; Folio: 38; Page: 69

Give up on the 1871!
                                Elaine

Comment

Never give up!

RG10; Piece: 1322; Folio: 22; Page: 35;

transcribed as Anna Len and William Harksen!

and not clear but mother transcribed as Georgena Rongls - wonder if that is supposed to be Wrangle?
                                  Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 20-01-08, 14:24.
                                  Elaine

Comment

Crikey Elaine, I will have to have a look at that one,. I have emailed the owner of the website to see where she got the marriage from, but I have my doubts as to its validity.
                                    Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post

and not clear but mother transcribed as Georgena Rongls - wonder if that is supposed to be Wrangle?
                                      - and there is definitely someone called Georgena Wrangle - on the 1841 census transcribed as Georgeana Weagle born c1793 living in St.Giles Camberwell Surrey.
                                      - and on 1861 census as Georgiana Wingle born c 1792 Bloomsbury, Middlesex
                                      Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 20-01-08, 14:38.
                                      Elaine

Comment

Elaine, you have certainly done well for me today, many thanks. I have just checked the 1871 and it says that William is the director of a charitable trust, which was obviously right. But still no mention of this Emaline. On her website, she said that william's mother was Mary ann Hanks, which would again make sense, but I don't know where she gets her evidence. I hope she replies to my email, but I don't know when William would have had chance to marry an Emaline.

Many thanks for all your help with this, I am now off to start on dinner!
                                        Lynn

Comment

Working...
                                        X