Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Come someone check this 1851 for me please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Come someone check this 1851 for me please?

HO107 1521 350 22
    I am looking at George Levy c 1791 Chatham & wife Sarah Elizabeth c 1799 Whitechapel. Can anyone make out what the street name is please and Sarah's occupation, which looks like monthly nurse to me?
    Lynn

Ocupation Monthly Nurse
    Monthly Nurse: An attending woman during the first month after childbirth. Also known as 'Confinement Nurse'. May also have the initials S.M.S. (Subsidiary Medical Services. i.e. not a doctor, but trained in some way)
    Elaine

Comment

I think address is Norman Street - slightly clearer on previous page.
      Elaine

Comment

Lyn

Yes, wife is monthly nurse. His occupation looks like "shoe maker (journeyman)" ie he was paid daily. Just checking on the street now. Hold on.
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thanks Elaine, do you agree that it says Monthly nurse then? It is interesting that they have a 1year old visitor with them as well.
          Lynn

Comment

Thanks Nell
            Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by Lynn The Forest Fan View Post
              .... do you agree that it says Monthly nurse then?
              Yes
              Elaine

Comment

Hallo again.

Can't make it out on the census page - or the one following, but I clicked on the enumeration district description and the only thing that looked possible was Norman Street.

According to google maps, Norman Street is still there, its a cul-de-sac off Ironmonger Row, which runs south of City Road and to the west of Old Street tube station. It's just north of St Luke's church. My husband had ancestors who lived in Ironmonger Row.

Comment

Thanks ladies. could you just check another for me please? this is the son of George & Sarah, William Levy c1831 St Luke. He appears to be in Hampstead. HO107 1492 33 24. He is listed as a teacher. I am right in reading that he is blind? Also, on the previous page, I can't quite make out the name of the school. I think it says ? of the London ? for training the blind to read. Can any one fill in the blanks?
                  Lynn

Comment

Yes, it says William is blind.
                    The institution looks like it is the "Asylum of the London School for Teaching the Blind to Read".

The description of the enumeration district refers to it as "the asylum for the blind".

Comment

Lyn

I wasn't too sure of the word school, but I've googled and it appears to be the London Society for teaching the blind to read.

It's listed as The London Society for Teaching the Blind to Read, Hampstead, HAMPSTEAD [1861] on Gendocs list of Victorian Institutions and if you google there are a few hits.
                      Last edited by Little Nell; 20-01-08, 12:03.

Comment

Thanks Nell, I didn't think it looked like school either, but society makes more sense.
                        Lynn

Comment

Pleasure!

Comment

Working...
                          X