Norton Internet Security 2008..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Norton Internet Security 2008..

Is anyone using Norton Internet Security 2008? My current Norton 2007 subs runs out shortly and I'm not sure whether to stick with Norton or try something else like AVG. I've found it good but fairly heavy going.
    Any comments?
    Kate

The only comment I could possibly make is that it is vital you use something...

All antivirus/anti-spyware/internet security solutions have their pro's and con's and price is not always a good indicator of what you are getting..

I personally use windows onecare, but only because i was on the beta program and got a good deal from microsoft (job helps too )
    https://squeakerslair.wordpress.com

Comment

yes most would recommend AVG the free one is fine ,but dont forget to uninstall Norton first

Comment

I use Norton and its always worked fine for me, I have found their technical assistance second to none.
        Kathleen

Comment

Hi Kate - I renewed my Norton via Tiscali my internet prov as they offered a discount. Now I keep getting a red cross instead of green tick in the Norton symbol, saying I am at risk, takes me through steps only to get to a sales pitch on Tiscali for upgrades. As soon as I exit, my green tick is back. Also I understand on their website, a lot of people complaining that since renewed got all the flashing ads back.

I will go for AVG if it goes on...despite having forked out for a years subs. Liz
          Liz

Comment

If you have more than one PC and you are going for a commercial product, rather than a free one, lookout for those which give you a licence to use on multiple PC's

Kapersky is one i beleive, as is Windows Live Onecare...
            https://squeakerslair.wordpress.com

Comment

Liz

If you go onto the norton web page you will find a live help chat which is very good. They can put you onto a technician who is able to take over your pc (with your agreement) to put the fault right.

I did this for my daughter last week, the service was excellent and it was all done in a few minutes. She had a red cross which nothing we did would resolve and also she couldnt do a back up, but all is well now.

I also found them very helpful when I wanted a second copy on my new pc. They upgraded my old pc version of norton for free too.
              Kathleen

Comment

We get Norton on all our computers in the house as part of the sub to BT Homehub Broadband.

Comment

Thanks all for your input.
                  I've been browsing various reviews to add to my confusion - as I don't understand most of their comments! I've been happy with the 2007 Nortons & had no problems but it does seem to be a heavy package. As one of the local retailers has a very good discount on Nortons for this month I'll have to decide soon.

Comment

Thanks Kath - will check out. Liz
                    Liz

Comment

Just a word of warning, although AVG is a very good anti-virus you will probably find that your 'System restore' will not work. I removed mine because of this and now just use Zonealarm antivirus and firewall, it is very good!

Comment

Thanks for that tip Pilgrim. I'm quite interested in AVG but as I do regular internet banking I'm concerned whether AVG will give me the protection that I have from Nortons I'net Security. Prior to NIS 2007 I had just the Norton Anti Virus & used the Windows firewall as well as SpyBot etc. Decisions, decisions!

Comment

Originally posted by Pilgrim View Post
                          Just a word of warning, although AVG is a very good anti-virus you will probably find that your 'System restore' will not work. I removed mine because of this and now just use Zonealarm antivirus and firewall, it is very good!
                          That is really strange, because I have used AVG + ZoneAlarm for years and have no problem whatsoever with system restore.

Comment

Ive used system restore many times and Ive had AVG for 4 years no prob. Kate look at the other thread on here about Nortons - Suejmog just downloaded AVG and it immediately found a virus her Nortons had missed.

Comment

I have Norton 2006 and I couldn't do a system restore. I googled to see if I could find a solution. I did, I had to untick something temporarily and did the SR and then reticked whatever it was. All was well afterwards.

Comment

When I renewed Norton, I went through Quidco and got money back.

Comment

Decision was finally made for me by OH who was tired of hearing my indecision & waffling about various A/V options. A local discount retailer has a special promo offer on Norton Internet Security 200 plus $50 cashback redemption so as OH was in the store for something else he bought the Norton. I'm amazed as I didn't think he was listening most of the time. At a cost of just AU$28 I'll go with it for another year.

Comment

Earlier on this thread, Val said "yes most would recommend AVG the free one is fine ,but dont forget to uninstall Norton first".

Can I ask why you can't have more than one anti virus / spy software loaded and operating at the same time ? What one doesn't pick up, the other one might.
                                    Simon

"You've got to ask yourself one question. Do I feel lucky ? " (Dirty Harry) - Be lucky; the facts are out there somewhere

http://www.thebirdtree.co.uk

Comment

hi that was me said that, AVG is only a anti virus not a spyware if you load it you will also need a firewall like zonealarm ,I have spybot and adaware also .
                                      I am not really sure why you cannot have two anti virus soft ware running at the same time but its not compatible ,and no you wont find what one does not pick up the other will, because they wont work well together.
                                      Maybe somebody will come along and explain why ?? good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Simon View Post
                                        Can I ask why you can't have more than one anti virus / spy software loaded and operating at the same time ? What one doesn't pick up, the other one might.
                                        Simon - you should find your answer here
                                        Can I run more than one anti-virus program? Anti-spyware program? Firewall? Should I? - Ask Leo!
                                        Elaine

Comment

Working...
                                        X