How old please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How old please?

Can anyone suggest how old the little girl bridesmaid is in this photo please?
    Or the approx year it was taken?

Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

i,d say 8/9 years old,double breated suit,one lady wearing a fox,s stole my nannie had one year 1950,s brenda xxx

Comment

Hi Chrissie, the photo looks late 1940s, maybe 47, the little girl looks under 10, maybe 8/9...........

Comment

Thank you Bren and Barbara. I want to look for the marriage details and was trying to narrow the year down. The little girl is me and I was born in December 1943. So if I was 8 it would be about 1952. I will start there I think

Comment

One of the chap's suits looks very like the one my father married in in 1953.
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I'd suggest starting a bit earlier just to be on the safe side, you could have been a tall child.........

Comment

Well 53 would make me 9 Nell, so it sounds good

I think I was probably average Barbara. I'm 5'3 and a half" now.

Comment

And one of the ladies has a coat very like the one my grandmother wore to the same wedding.

I would point out that my father never spent money if he could avoid it and my grandmother was poor, so their clothes might have been a few years out of date!

Comment

The ladies coats are "New Look" which was a response to clothes coming off coupon, so I would say early 1950s, not much earlier.

I can just remember my mum excitedly going to C and A's for a "new look" coat and coming home and swirling round in it, after years of wearing a utility tailored topcoat.

OC

Comment

OC i still think 1950,s and the child (chrissie) looks 8/9 brenda xxx

Comment

Cor, you must have lead an exciting life Chrissie, if you can't remember when you went to a wedding!! (There's grand! pmsl)

I went to one when I was 6½ and wasn't even a bridesmaid , but I do remember when it was

Comment

Well that settles it, thank you all, I shall go and search and report back when I find out when it was I rang a living relative last night to see if she could remember as she is on the photo but unfortunately she had a stroke last year and is rather confused.

I was a bridesmaid several times Merry. On one wedding photo I am much younger and looking serious and I can actually remember that I was waiting for the photographer to say smile

Comment

Thank you all, mystery solved. It was Jan-March 1951, so I was only just over 7. It may have mislead you though Brenda because I am standing in front of my grandma who was only about 4'10" ish and my mum, on the left, was only about 5'0" ish. They were quite a small family because my cousin Cyril who is standing just the other side of me wasn't very tall either.

I had to wade through 5 pages to find the bride though. It was a fairly common name but I thought she was called Mary. I found out she was Winifred M after looking at all the other pages

While I was at it Merry I looked for the other marriage when I was a small bridesmaid. It turned out that I was 3 and 3 quarters for the other one. No wonder I wasn't sure when I was supposed to smile lol) Must try and find the photo as it's quite funny

Comment

Ah!

I've been a bridesmaid twice. First time was for my uncle (mother's side) and I was 12. It was the summer holiday when I got my first camera and we went on holiday to Norfolk and I took a pic of my gt grandparents' grave, though didn't know at the time how much I would find out about them!

2nd time I was a bridesmaid for my cousin (father's side). I was a witness along with the best man, and I stuck my heel through my long, stiff petticoat as I went down the steps into the vestry to sign. Fortunately it didn't cause any real damage.

Comment

Any photos Nell? I LOVE looking at old photographs. I look at them all on here but I don't often comment because I'm not very good at guessing ages, dates or uniforms or anything - as you may have noticed lol

Comment

Working...
                              X