Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Military question

I have found possibly, Two medal cards for one of my relatives,

I'm presuming as they are on TNA and he had two different service numbers that these will be two different medals??

I know he got the "victory medal" but nothing in his paperwork from ancestry mentions any others

anyone got any ideas?
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

If he served overseas in 1914 or 1915 I think he would have got the 14 or 15 Star. Also there is the British War medal. Usually there is just one medal index card per person, which has all that person's medals listed on it, and if he served in more than one regiment then they are listed on the same card. But I am sure there are some people who have 2 cards (although when I posted up details of my great-uncle's two cards on the Great War Forum one of the experts on there was sure they must be for two different people).

If his name is unusual enough that you are pretty sure they are both his, then hopefully you will be lucky enough that when you pay your £3.50 for a copy of one card, the other one will be in the set of six that you get for your money anyway. The card(s) will tell you all the medals he got.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Does this page help at all Julie

Researching a British soldier of WW1 - medals

Gives a listing of possible medals.

and this gives a bit more of an explanation

Interpreting medal index cards
      Elaine

Comment

Good point Kate! If you are going to download them Julie then only download one of them., Chances are they might be on the same page so you get two for the price of one!
        Elaine

Comment

mmmm He did serve overseas..

India/SA/France and all around the uk.

I found a 25 page report on ancestry last night, and D'loded it

I think I might get the card, but will do it later tonight when I have more time to concentrate...lol

Quite chuffed that I managed to find the medals stuff anyrate on TNA as that site, just fuddles me!!

Julie

Comment

The medal cards are easy to find compared with most of the rest of the stuff!
            KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
              The medal cards are easy to find compared with most of the rest of the stuff!

MMmmm thats easy for them that know HOW...lol.. its took me this long to figure it, pmsl.....

right, cyas'll laters
              Julie

Comment

Julie - did you not check this out!

Elaine

Comment

Were Victory Medals only awarded to soldiers or Navy as well. Amongst my late father possessions was a Victory Medal (not his!) with a number K33194 H. Gibson STO 1 RN around the edge. Have a vague idea who this chap was but am unable to get any results on the National Archive site using this info. It is definately a Victory Medal as I have checked it out

Any ideas anyone? Lesley

Comment

This might help you

Victory Medal (UK - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
                    Elaine

Comment

.. and the medal card on TNA

The National Archives | DocumentsOnline | Image Details
                      Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine, That has answered my question!!! Yes it was awarded to Naval personel (sp)

Lesley

Comment

Elaine!! Why couldn't I find that!! That is him. Off to download the documents now. He is not a rellie but was a friend of the family who, as far as I know, had no family of his own and obviously gave his medal to my father before he died.

Thank you so much for that. You folks on here are great when it comes to giving help to us novices!! Lesley. (sorry Julie, didn't mean to hi jack your thread!)

Comment

Right then,

I'm confused (which isnt difficult) at mo....

Have d'loded medal card, and there are 6 of them.... (cards)

I guess that not all of them will be mine? I will have to look at the service numbers???

this is the first time I have done this, so am not sure what I should/shouldn't be doing...pmsl
                            Julie

Comment

Yes, to find out which is the right one, check the service numbers. If you want help deciphering it (or them) when you've found the right one, why not post the image up on here?
                              KiteRunner

Comment

Julie

The medal cards were just filmed 6 at a time. Brothers might or might not be filmed together depending on their first names.
                                ~ with love from Little Nell~
                                Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

This is one of them, but the other one I found earlier on the ref, isnt on this page of cards, so would that be another £3.50??? as it isnt on here...

his service number is 28258 (RHA) and his other number is 147547 (service corps) I know from his other papers he was a driver.

Julie

Comment

Yes, unfortunately if it isn't in that set of 6 then it would be another £3.50 for the other one.

So this card shows that he got the Victory medal, British war medal and 14 Star with the clasp and roses.
                                    KiteRunner

Comment

Here is the other one

Julie

Comment

At first glance it looks like a different person - a Private in the ASC (Army Service Corps) and he got two of the same medals as the Frank on the other card (most people got those ones). But it's past my bedtime, so I'll have to have another look tomorrow. In the records that you downloaded from ancestry, does it say he was in the ASC as well as what it said on the other card, can't remember now?

By the way, the first card you posted up says "[OVER" in the bottom right hand corner, which I believe means there is something on the back of the card. Unfortunately TNA didn't scan in the backs of the cards but ancestry are doing that, and so when ancestry put them up you will be able to see what it says on the back, perhaps his address or his next of kin's address.

Goodnight!
                                        KiteRunner

Comment

Working...
                                        X