Death Certificate from 1890

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death Certificate from 1890

What would be on a death cert from this date? would the deceased persons parents names be on it as they were here in Scotland?
    Kate xx

Hi Kate

This wiki page shows the column headings on an English death cert

Gillian
    User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

Scottish certs do give more information, but I don't know about them. I expect the answer is in the Wiki somewhere, or maybe on Scotland's People?
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

all you have to do is google!

So what’s on the Scottish death certificate? It’s an extensive list. There are the standard statistics, such as the name, age and sex of the deceased, and place, date and time of death. But you also find his occupation, cause of death (including how long the last illness lasted and the name of the doctor), residence, where he was born, his spouse’s name, his parents’ names and occupations (also whether they were alive or dead), and finally the names of any children and, if they’d died, when. For the first five years after 1855, the certificate even listed the place of burial. With a couple of exceptions, all those remained on the certificates.

source: Scottish Deaths: ExploreGenealogy -

Comment

Both Scottish and EWngland/Wales bmd certs are described on the wiki along with what you might/might not find written on them.
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
          My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
          My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Thanks everyone, I was hoping that i might find parents names on them.
            Kate xx

Comment

Kate, if you mean on an English or Welsh death cert, then if it is a child or unmarried woman it should say the father's name on it, but if a man or married woman or widow, then it won't. Well, if the informant was a parent then it might say that.
              KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
              (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Of course, the only way to find out what is on a cert is to order it - and it doesn't always give the information you expect (sometimes you get more info than you expect!)

Comment

Working...
                X