Any ideas please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any ideas please?

John Edward Wright was born in the workhouse in 1874 - the birth reference was as expected West Ham.

His older brother James was 5 months old in the same workhouse in 1871 census. There is no reference for James Wright in a likely time frame in West Ham though. There are 2 or 3 in Essex though the most likely I felt was Edmonton. Could his birth registration not be listed on the bmd's and if so is it still possible to get his birth cert. I suppose there is the possibility that he wasn't actually born in the workhouse but went in shortly after birth. His mother Emma (22), born Forest Gate Essex is in the workhouse with him.

Any opinions please? Sorry if I have to go suddenly. I'm in the middle of cooking dinner.
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Birth registration wasn't compulsory till 1875.

However, if he WAS born in the Workhouse, the Workhouse usually saw to the registration before 1875.

Does the admissions book still exist for the workhouse? You may get the date when she and James entered the workhouse and some useful information as to where they had come from.

OC

Comment

Thanks OC. I have tried googling and have been to a workhouse web site that lists the West Ham Union workhouse etc but I can't seem to fathom whether the few places that it says have Workhouse records would actually have the West Ham ones. They are all in London anyway so I couldn't get to them. I don't think London/Essex areas are prepared to search for you either are they?

Comment

Another thing that struck me was - how did she get pregnant again when she was already in the workhouse with James.

Comment

Chrissie

I doubt if she was in there for five years!

As soon as possible she would have been turfed out to a job, or could have discharged herself. She may have gone in with the baby due to illness or a temporary "loss of place".

OC

Comment

She was still in there in 1874 though when John Edward was born. Or maybe gone back in you think?

Comment

I am pretty certain she left and then went back again to have the next baby.

The Workhouse was also the only sort of hospital care available to most women, and if she had no family to help her...ooh, was little James in there the second time? If not, who was looking after him?

OC

Comment

This looks to be what is available:

Records
                Newham Archives and Local Studies Library, Stratford Library, 3 The Grove, London E15 1EL. Holdings include: Guardians' Minutes (1836-42, 1844-61, 1873-5, 1884-1930).
                Waltham Forest Archives, Vestry House Museum, Vestry Road, Walthamstow, London E17 9NH. Holdings include: Central Home admissions (1906-59, women and children only); Printed Guardians' Minutes (1906-8, 1912-13, 1922-26, 1929-30); etc.

from

Workhouse - the Story of Workhouses

Comment

Sorry, had to dash off and dish up dinner.

Yes OC, by 1881 Emma seems to have left but the two boys are still there. James now 10 and John 7. I have the birth cert for John.

Yes Merry, that's the one I found but does it mean that those places also have the records for West Ham Union/Leytonstone workhouse or just the workhouses for their area? The dates that Newham have would be useful but would they have West Ham and would I have to visit?

Comment

I think Newham archives would be the people to contact

Comment

Thanks Merry :o

Comment

Hi Chrissie,
                        I see you are online....How do I post a new thread please? sorry to interrupt this thread but this old brain of mine is giving out
                        Thanks
                        jacquei in sunny spain

Comment

Hi Jacquei

Sorry, I've only just found your e-mail. You click on 'New Thread' top left. Then give it a title, type in the subject and press submit. Is that what you mean?

Comment

Thanks Chrissie,
                            Yes that is it but I cant find that "New Thread" top left ..under what page do I find it please? Also I cant seem to find an old thread I have posted unless it is replied to and comes under todays postings.
                            Sorry about this
                            thanks
                            jacquei
                            Sorry for late reply...just been to collect grandchildren for a sleepover

Comment

Jacquei

New thread tab is on all the boards, so you need to click on it on whichever board your thread is most relevant to. (bad grammar, I am sure you know what I mean!)
                              ~ with love from Little Nell~
                              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Well I think I had better give up because I just cant see one ...sorry but thanks for trying Little Nell

jacquei

Comment

Jacquei, at the top of the screen you should see something that says
                                  Family Tree Forum > Genealogy General > Research Advice
                                  Any ideas please?

Click on the bit that says "Research Advice" and it will take you to the listing for that board. Then hopefully you will be able to see the "New Thread" button.
                                  Last edited by KiteRunner; 19-01-08, 15:40.
                                  KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                                  (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I am really confused as to what you mean Jacquei as you have already posted a thread of your own called Licensed Victuallers. Are we misunderstanding what you mean?

Comment

Found It...eureka....thanks Kite Runner You Are A Gem
                                      Regards
                                      Jacquei

Comment

Hi Chrissie...yes I posted that thread but could not for the life of me remember where I found it..as I have not found my way around FTF yet...but what I am doing now is saving all the suggestions from the members and putting in a file..so that I remember for future use. So with a bit of luck I should be getting back on track..fingers crossed
                                        Thanks for your patience and help
                                        chat soon
                                        jacquei

Comment

Working...
                                        X