Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with a marriage certificate

I found the marriage of Moses Taylor and Alice Cherrick on Lancs BMD

I searched everywhere for Alice but the only record I found was the marriage

I sent for the certificate copy below. It does look like Cherrick.

I checked the parish records at the archives and it still looks like Cherrick

I cannot find 82 Pott St on the census.

Anyone any ideas?[IMG][/IMG]
    PAT

1871 census
    82 Pott Street
    RG10/4033/114/15 - but not sure that it helps you at all!
    Elaine

Comment

Sherrett/Sharrock or any mispronunciation in between!

Cherrick/Cherritt is a very uncommon name, whereas Sherrett-Sharrock is DEAD common in Lancs (and nobody knew how to spell it including the registrar)

OC

Comment

Thanks for that Elaine I couldn't find No 82 but they aren't there anyway.
        PAT

Comment

I can see the Alice's father is James but cannot read his occupation.
          Where was Alice born?
          Elaine

Comment

I think I might have found her in 1881 with 2 daughters Moses was in hospital. If that is her she was born Manchester 1838

James was a mill manager

Just changed the year of birth it was 1838

RG11 3987 87 26

In 1891 Moses was a widower with 2 daughters RG12 3987 87 26
            Last edited by Pat Hope; 18-01-08, 16:16.
            PAT

Comment

Doesn't the marriage certificate show age as 27 with the marriage in 1872 - in which case it would be c1845.

The only one I can find is
              1851 census - Alice Shorrax
              HO107; Piece: 2230; Folio: 767; Page: 7

in 1861 parents are recorded as Sharrock, although Alice not with them.
              RG9; Piece: 2967; Folio: 63; Page: 20

father James is employed in weaving industry in these two censuses.

1871 parents recorded as Sherlock - but James has occupation of labourer. Not sure if this is the same family.
              RG10; Piece: 4034; Folio: 145; Page: 54
              Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 18-01-08, 16:25.
              Elaine

Comment

Thanks for looking Elaine I will put this at the bottom of my pile along with all the other people I can't find
                PAT

Comment

I notice that every one of the "signatures" of the interested parties is actually an X. So they wouldn't have known how their names were being spelled anyway - one imagines...
                  *thinks of a number of Xs ascribed to people known to be able to write, but presumed to have been intimidated into not signing for themselves*.

Christine
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

The name on the cert. looks very like Clennett to me. And that is another real surname.
                    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I was inclined to think it was CHEWETT or CLEWETT, but a second look at the last letters suggests it's probably one of those large lower-case "k" that so often get transcribed as capitals - e.g. (on another thread) "S Killings", instead of "Skillings".

Christine
                      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Pat,

can you rescan the cert at a higher dpi?? the image isnt very clear at all,

If you have a documents setting within your scanner toolbox, make sure it is ticked.
                        Julie
                        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

The original isn't clear either. I nearly sent it back. I was able to look at the parish record to get more details
                          PAT

Comment

Working...
                          X