where do I look?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where do I look?

Does anyone know where I would look for details of a furniture shop it also made furniture that was in Bethnal Green London or if there would be any details I do know it was open for a lot of years until the late 1800's. Did they keep details of business's then?
    GWEN

You would need to check trade directories. you can find some at Historical Directories
    Vikki -
    Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Comment

Thanks Vikki for that I have looked in them before but never found anything and have to admit I find it a pain working your way through them.
      but thanks again will give it another go.
      GWEN

Comment

Do you want to post the details (along with the name of the maker) maybe someone can help
        Vikki -

Comment

I was going to say a Kelly's directory or something similar.

Perhaps if he was a voter he might be in the electors roll (if there is one)

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Yes the Trade Directories will tell you roughly when the business started and when it folded. You can track backwards and forwards to obtain this information. I tracked a business down in Kellys in Bath from when it started in 1850ish right through to 1956. The business maybe on Historical Directories but may not be so as not all business is on that site. If Directories for this are are not available though HD then you will have to go to the local area and in this case would be the nearest big library or record office to Bethnal Green. If Bethnal Green comes under Middlesex and I think it does, then LMA, which is closed at present for refurbishment, would be able to help. If you live near London then the place for the most complete set of Trade Directories for the whole of the UK is The Guildhall Library. You can google GL for more info.

Also if you are very lucky, TNA have details of small businesses but not all these survive. They do not have to be large to be in TNA. My G father had a very small business in Plymouth in Marine Engineering in the 1920's, which records were at TNA, but when I got around to the research in the early 1990's, I discovered the records had been destroyed just one year previously!

You can also try Companies House in London though I did not find this useful.

You may also find that if the business was a big business, then somebody may have written a book, so worth putting the shop name into google. I found a book written about the Owen Owens of Liverpool and London in the library in Bath detailing all the history of the owners through from a Bath owner. It was brilliant, as it took a cousin's FH back to the early 1700's in one afternoon!

Janet
            Last edited by Janet; 18-01-08, 15:03.

Comment

Thanks everyone for that I will have to try and persevere with the Trade Directories. The place was called Wyatt's furniture shop and was in Salmons lane Bethnal Green. Had to disappear for a while sorry for the delay in replying
              GWEN

Comment

will be back have to prepare an early tea
                Gwen
                GWEN

Comment

Gwen

Can you fix the time more narrowly?

There are loads of sun Life Insurance policies for premises in Salmon Lane Bethnal Green, on A2A, but none in the name of Wyatt - was that the owner's name?

OC

Comment

Thanks for that the owner was Frederick Wyatt he was born in 1855 and died in 1925. He had 11 sons and put most of them through an apprentice the sons were born between the years 1876 -1899. I believe but not sure Albert Wyatt and Elizabeth Wyatt ran it in the later years. Does that help?
                    GWEN

Comment

Hm, no, a bit too late for A2A.

OC

Comment

I found a picture of the shop by sheer accident in a book about Bethnal Green. Just had a look at it and it says it is 123 Salmons Lane and it was Emily wyatt who ran it in the later part. I am going to have look on A2" did not occur to me to look there. I have googled but no luck.
                        GWEN

Comment

I have found this

Post Office London Directory, 1895 - Historical Directories

Furniture Brokers and Fixture dealers

Wyatt Albert and Sons - 779 -785a Commercial Road .E.
                          Wyatt Alfred 2 Ford Street, Bow .E.

i'll keep looking though, See if I can find any earlier reference
                          Vikki -

Comment

And in 1882

Post Office London Directory, 1882. - Historical Directories

Furniture brokers and fixture dealers

Wyatt Albert 111 Redman's Road, Stepney .E.

in 1915

Post Office London Directory, 1915.

Historical Directories=

Furniture Brokers and dealers

Wyatt Mrs Emily 123 Salmon lane .E.
                            Vikki -

Comment

Originally posted by Gwen@coggiecorner View Post
                              I found a picture of the shop by sheer accident in a book about Bethnal Green. Just had a look at it and it says it is 123 Salmons Lane and it was Emily wyatt who ran it in the later part. I am going to have look on A2" did not occur to me to look there. I have googled but no luck.
                              Looks like the lady I found in 1915
                              Vikki -

Comment

and here in 1899

Post Office London Directory, 1899

Historical Directories=

Furniture brokers and fixture dealers

Wyatt Alfred 2 Ford Street, Bow .E.

If you look through the post office trade directories, under trade and then by surname you will probably find some more, but those should give you an idea of who was runing in and when
                                Last edited by vikki brace; 18-01-08, 16:59.
                                Vikki -

Comment

Vikki your a star just been looking on A2 but did not find anything will look at what you have found if I can manage to to LOL
                                  Thanks
                                  GWEN

Comment

If it helps, just checked the 1841 and no listing for Wyatt under furniture broker

EDIT - I see none of the links are working, Sorry
                                    Vikki -

Comment

Thanks Vikki had a look at what you have found and will look further.
                                      thanks again.
                                      GWEN

Comment

I used the links and they worked for me
                                        GWEN

Comment

Working...
                                        X