My family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My family

Joined the forum just yesterday and still finding my way around. Am researching many lines for both my husbands and my own family. Researching UK records from "Down Under" can be very difficult! Initially searching for info on the Elkerton family of Headington, Oxford. John Elkerton (found in all Censuses from 1841) was my great, great grandfather. He was married and his wife had died between 1851 and 1861. Children were (in 1861) Mary(7) and James (4). His son James, arrived in Australia in 1874 at the age of 17, alone. I have no info on James' mother but know his Dad had remarried by 1871 to a widow, Ann Pates. Any help as to how to find out more about James' mother would be most appreciated.

Free BDM has the marriage of John Elkerton and Frances Langston Sept q 1853 in Headington (ref 3a 780). I can't find the death of Frances at the moment. Will try something else, hang on!

No, I looked at all the Frances deaths in Headington from 1856 to 1863, but there was nothing that looked like it could be her.

Welcome to the site by the way!
    Last edited by KiwiChris; 18-01-08, 06:21.
    Christine
    Normal day, let me be aware of the treasure you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart. Let me not pass you by in quest of some rare and perfect tomorrow. Let me hold you while I may, for it may not always be so.
    Mary Jean Iron

Comment

Got it! June q 1858 Headington, the death of Fanny Elkerton ref 3a 341!
      Christine
      Normal day, let me be aware of the treasure you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart. Let me not pass you by in quest of some rare and perfect tomorrow. Let me hold you while I may, for it may not always be so.
      Mary Jean Iron

Comment

Thank You

Thanks so much for helping me out with finding my grt grt grandmother. Its wonderful to be able to fill in that important piece of info. Now for the next challenge -to get some detail on my grt grandfathers life before he left England for Oz.
        Thanks again

Comment

Marriage Sept q 1864 Oxford, John Elkton and Ann Pates ref 3a 867
          Christine
          Mary Jean Iron

Comment

Had a quick look for Frances/Fanny Langston in 1851 and the most obvious two are a married woman and a servant.

Perhaps you should get the marriage cert to find out who her parents were - she may have been a widow.

OC

Comment

Hi Fred

Welcome to the site.

I would suggest getting James birth certificate, It would give you his mothers maiden name, once you have that then you would know which marriage cert to order.
              The reason I say to do it in that order is sometime people never married, I have one woman listed as wife on 3 census, but they never married. I could have spent a fortune ordering the wrong certs.
              Vikki -
              Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Comment

Hallo Fred and welcome aboard

Found this on FamilySearch.org - Family History and Genealogy Records - the mother called Abraham is clearly wrong, but there may be some aspects that are correct:

James ELKERTON (AFN: HD5L-SG)
                Birth: 1 Nov 1856 Barton, Oxford, England
                Death: 24 Nov 1947 Grafton, N.s.w., Australia
                Parents
                Father: John ELKERTON (AFN: HD5M-0G) Family
                Mother: Abraham DAVIDSON OR DAVISON (AFN: HD5M-1M)
                Spouse: Sarah Anne DAVIDSON (AFN: HD5L-TM) Family
                Marriage: 12 Nov 1885

About Ancestral File
                Ancestral File is a collection of genealogical information taken from Pedigree Charts and Family Group Records submitted to the Family History Department since 1978. The information has not been verified against any official records. Since the information in Ancestral File is contributed, it is the responsibility of those who use the file to verify its accuracy
                ~ with love from Little Nell~
                Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Welcome to the site!

If your research covers Oxfordshire, it might be worth you having a look on this site, if you haven't already:
                  Oxfordshire Family History Society

My son gave me one of their parish register transcription CDs for Christmas a year or so back. It covered a couple of relevant parishes and has been enormously useful. I've since been to the records office, and managed to see the original parish registers (not just films/fiches!). The CD info helped me to know where to look.

Christine
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Looks more like Abraham Davidson was his wife's father.

I have a number of the OFHS CDs.

Anticipating further back, there are 4 marriages of a male Elkerton recorded in Headington.

Thomas married Sarah Pidington 17 Oct 1786
                    James married Mary Maria Clarke 28 Nov 1820
                    William married Harriet Betts 29 Jan 1823 and
                    Richard married Sarah Rolph 17 Oct 1831

Only a total of 19 male Elkertons married in Oxfordshire between 1538 & 1837
                    Last edited by Grampa Jim; 18-01-08, 20:00.
                    Grampa Jim passed away September 2011

Comment

Thanks for your help everyone. Little Nell, the info from Ancestral File has got some facts correct. You are correct the Abraham is James' wife's father. Sarah was actualy his second wife, his first having died after a difficult delivery of twins who both then passed away about 10 months after their mother. A very sad part of the family story.I have quite a bit of info on James from the time of his arrival in Australia.
                      A big thanks Grampa Jim for your extra information on Headington marriages:
                      William and Harriet were (according to census info I have) John Elkerton's parents. Thanks to you I now have their marriage date as well.
                      Fred

Comment

Hi Fred, welcome to the site.

If you put your name down for WDYTYA you will get help for a whole week, and maybe break down some more brick walls.
                        Rosi

We are the famous CFC

Comment

Working...
                        X