Baptism and Marriage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baptism and Marriage

Does anybody know if it was necessary to be baptised before you could be married in a Church of England church in the 1860's. I ask because it appears that my great grandmother was baptised some 12 years after she was married.

I rather think that the fact that the CofE is the Established Church means that anyone resident in the parish is entitled to be married there: a statutory sort of event, as distinct from an optional event such as a baptism or funeral.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Christine

I don't think that is correct - you have to/had to be a member of the C of E to have the RIGHT to marry there.

Otherwise you just went to the Registry Office, or another church of your choice and denomination.

OC

Comment

was she baptised into the same church?

the reason I ask, is that if she became a baptist she would have been baptised as an adult, and that could have taken place at any time and at any age
        Vikki -
        Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Comment

From the FAQ on the C of E site: Your marriage in the Church of England | Church of England

Q/ I’m Church of England and he’s a Catholic. Does that matter?

A/ People of all denominations have a right to be married in their parish church (provided they have not been married before). So it doesn’t matter from the Church of England’s perspective.
          I think it's because the CofE is integral to the State. In time past the CofE was about the only place where you could get legally married.
          Last edited by Christine in Herts; 17-01-08, 19:27.
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Christine

I am very surprised at that - I was refused the right to marry in the parish church (my first marriage) because I was neither a member of the congregation, nor had I been baptised C of E.

I went elsewhere!

OC

Comment

My great grandmother certainly did not live in the parish. Not sure where my great grandfather was as street no longer exists, will check and get back.

The church had only conducted marriages for 8 years when they got married there.

Comment

O.C
                Like you, a C of E church refused to let me marry there. I had been both baptised and confirmed in that church, and had regularly attended for 18 out of my 20 years.
                I was basically told all that history with that particular church was irrelevant and my only realistic option was to marry in the chuch of the parish I actually lived in.
                The real irony was that I lived less than 100 yards the "wrong" side of the boundary.
                I have since learned that I could have applied for a licence to marry, but my original church failed to tell me this.
                Its no wonder that church congregations are falling when these sort of attitudes prevail.
                Helen
                Support the S.O.P.H.I.E. campaign, Stamp Out Predudice Hatred + Intolerance Everywhere.

Visit the website at http://www.sophielancasterfoundation.com/index1.html

http://www.illamasqua.com/about/sophie/

Comment

my OH gt gt grandmother was baptised in 1880, at the age of 21, the week after her eldest 2 children. There is a note in the margin on the PR next to the childrens baptism records, too difficult to decipher, but seems to be a comment on mum not being baptised.

She had been married in the same church, by the same vicar, 3 years previously.

She was baptised under her maiden name.

She had lived in the same area all her life, and her parents were married & some of her siblings baptised in the same church. I suppose her baptism was overlooked when she was a baby, and it only came to light when she presented the babies to the vicar (the same one who had married her)

So I presume he hadn't bothered to check up when he married her.

As with all these things, I suppose some vicars were more conscientious than others. I have seen several PRs where baptisms, marriages & deaths have all been crossreferenced - a great help if its a common surname
                  Vicky

Comment

Some clergy are better at paperwork than others. Would you rather have a pristine register and boring sermons or a scraggy register and uplifting sermons?
                    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

UJ

I'd rather have a pristine register!

OC

Comment

I was researching 6 fairly recent christenings and found only 5 were recorded.

Presuming they'd forgotten one hadn't been done - two younger ones were christened together.

She presumed she'd been christened as far as I know and was I believe married in a church by her fil.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Originally posted by Helen Henderson View Post
                          O.C
                          I was basically told all that history with that particular church was irrelevant and my only realistic option was to marry in the chuch of the parish I actually lived in.
                          The real irony was that I lived less than 100 yards the "wrong" side of the boundary.
                          I have since learned that I could have applied for a licence to marry, but my original church failed to tell me this.
                          Its no wonder that church congregations are falling when these sort of attitudes prevail.
                          The first half of this quote explains the church's legal position: if you live on the other side of the boundary, then you don't live inside the parish so you don't have the right to marry there.
                          The second half exposes a failure in communication which, sadly, is not uncommon - nor are such failures confined to the Churches.

They might also have mentioned that if you could establish a pattern of attendance at your preferred church, you might be able to go on their electoral roll - which would be the equivalent of being in the parish.

Christine
                          Last edited by Christine in Herts; 18-01-08, 18:57.

Comment

Working...
                          X