Can anyone read this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone read this?

In the 1841 census there is an entry in the 'licensed Mad House' that has been crossed out. Can anyone make out what it says without being influenced by the transcription? Its about halfway down on the left hand page.
    HO107; Piece 709; Book: 10; Folio: 42; Page: 9

Thanks
    Sue

Ooh, it's difficult. The first name looks to end with ss and I think the surname is Ladd (it has to come between K and Lawrence to fit in alphabetical order). Age ab 20 (in male column). I'll have to think about the first name and get back to you...
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Looking at the first letter, it looks like a B, an N or a W. Could it be Burgess Ladd?
      KiteRunner

Comment

I see there is a Burgess Ladd marriage on the IGI 1831 St Mark Kennington to Ann Chandler, though that would make his age somewhat more than "ab 20" in 1841!
        KiteRunner

Comment

I think teh first letter looks like an H

agree with Ladd though
          Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

Thanks for that Kite Runner - it''s been transcribed as Burgess Sadd who is at home with his wife and baby in Lambeth, I was wondering if I needed to look at mad house records at the LMA ...

Now you've got me wondering about this marriage in 1831...its in the right area and I've never found one for my Burgess and he was born in 1811, but no, his wife's name is Mary. Of course it could be a second marriage.

Why do I always end up going round in circles???

Zoe - I didn't think it looked like a B either but I think the writers H's are a lot curlier than that..
            Last edited by Sue from Southend; 17-01-08, 11:12. Reason: add another response
            Sue

Comment

Can't see any entries for Burgess Ladd on FreeBMD, but there are two for Burgess Sadd - a marriage in Dec 1839, district London, and this could be a coincidence, but one of the possible brides is a Mary Chandler. Hmmm...

Also a death in Mar 1843 district Lambeth.

The capital L and S were very similar in those days, as I'm sure you know, so it could well be the same person. Maybe he had been in the madhouse but was home again by census night?
              KiteRunner

Comment

I'd say Burgess Ladd too.......

I have a few Burgess... and the times they have been mistrans as Burgers :(

but yes it does look like Burgess anyway..
                Julie
                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Can't think why I hadn't found the BMD entry for the 1839 marriage! I had his death, and there is a Marriage License allegation in 1831 for Burgess Sadd to Ann Chandler on British Origins!! Maybe he married his sister in law after his wife died?? Is that legal?

I think I'll be looking at madhouse records just satisfy my curiosity!
                  Sue

Comment

According to the IGI, Burgess SADD and Ann had two daughters christened at St Mark, Kennington - Ann 14 May 1834 and Eleanor 8 Nov 1835. There are extracted records for them. Then two sons who you probably know about christened at the same church - John 26 Aug 1840 and Charles 11 May 1842.

So my guess is he married Ann Chandler, had two daughters, Ann died, then he married a relative of hers (sister?) called Mary and had two sons. Then he died. Unless that Burgess who died in 1843 is a baby who isn't on the IGI?
                    KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by Sue from Southend View Post
                      Maybe he married his sister in law after his wife died?? Is that legal?
                      Sorry, Sue, we were posting at the same time. It would be legal now, but it wasn't legal then. But it was fairly common anyway.
                      KiteRunner

Comment

this makes interesting reading, from our Wiki

Julie
                        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Wow, Kite Runner thats great!! I didn't check Burgess's name for children on IGI - probably because I couldn't find a marriage, I won't make that mistake again!;)
                          I'll send off for some certificates I think ... even if he isn't my direct line!

...and according to the Wiki he could have married his sister in law!!
                          Sue

Comment

Working...
                          X