Please put me out of my misery!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please put me out of my misery!

Joseph Killings (aka Joseph Skillings) is in Walton on the Hill St Mary Town West Derby Lancs in 1891. RG12/2974 Folio 145

He's down as nephew. Can someone tell me who he is the Nephew of! And who else is in the household.

Many thanks!
    Phoenix - with charred feathers
    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

The address looks like 46 Irlam or Islam Road?
    Head is Henry Ross 46 b London
    wife Janet ross 45 b Queensferry Scotland
    Margaret W Ross 14 daur. b Glasgow
    Joseph S Killings 37 Time keeeper man nephew b Kings Lynn
    Edward Harrisford 24 b London
    Elizabeth Harrisford 21 wife
    William Vincent Husband b Cornwall
    Rosemary Or hannah (been written over) Wife 33 b Ashford
    Margaret Laidley Single 57 London
    David Laidley Pritchard 40 b Liverpool
    Rose S Vincent boarder 4 Liverpoll

Comment

listed in order as on the image:

Henry W Ross head marr age 46 marine engineer bn London
      Janet Ross wife marr age 45 - can't read place of birth
      Joseph Skillings nephew single age 37 timekeeper bn Kings Lynn
      Edward Harmisford? husband marr 24 occ looks like equestrian? bn ... London
      Elizabeth Harmisford? wife marr 21 bn ?
      William Vincent husband marr 45 mariner bn Cornwall
      ? Vincent wife marr 33 bn ..ford?
      Margaret Laidley single 57 ind means bn London
      David Laidley Pritchard? single 40 ind means bn Liverpool
      .....? Vincent boarder single age 4 bn Liverpool

Sorry can't read it all !

according to where the double // marks are, all the above are in the same household. although they are not on the household transcription page for Joseph Skillings.
      Sue

Comment

Sorry, missed out daughter Margaret Ross, as in Kim's reply :o
        Sue

Comment

Thanks, Kim & Sue!

It doesn't make any sense, with no connections to Scotland or Ross, which is probably why I didn't note it. What a mixed household!
          Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

In my tree I have twins and a sister b in Queensferry (both twins on one register image on ScotlandsPeople ). They come from a Hampshire family, but their father was in the RN.

Henry W ROSS is a marine engineer, so his work could have taken him to Queensferry, where he met Janet, his wife?
            Alternatively, he may have been born in London, but ROSS is not unusual in Scotland.

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Incidentally, there's a marriage on the IGI (M116791) for a Henry Willian (sic) ROSS to Janet HENDERSON 30 NOV 1869 Cramond, Midlothian.

Cramond isn't far away from Queensferry. He'd have been about 25, and she about 24... if it's your marriage.

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

To be a nephew with a different surname from Henry he has to be:

1] His sister's son

2] His wife's brother's son

3] His wife's sister's son

Comment

That could be him, Christine! Though Henderson isn't a family name either.

Weirdly, a Henry W Ross appears to be in Bootle in 1881, complete with wife Sarah and several daughters... who don't include Margaret b Glasgow. He has moved in 1891, so it can't be the same man.

Comment

Christine, there are no Rosses in the family. No Hendersons in the family. No connection with London and none with Scotland. Mother was a spinster when she married, surname variously spelt as Garrod, Garritt etc. Both parents born in Norfolk. I wonder if someone misread lodger as nephew?? A fancy L can look like an N.

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post
                      I wonder if someone misread lodger as nephew?? A fancy L can look like an N.
                      It would have to be the enumerator misreading his own handwriting. The image is very clear.

Christine

Comment

Is Joseph/Josiah the son of Edward/Edmund (police constable) & Louisa?

Perhaps nephew was an approximation and there are more intervening marriages.

Christine

Comment

I think Christine is right, and nephew was shorthand for a more complicated relationship - there was neither the room nor the inclination for the enumerator to write "son of wife's brother's wife's sister".

OC

Comment

It's the sort of thing that would fall into place with the name of the Informant on a death cert, or some such.

One of my ancestors had a name appear as witness on his (2nd) marriage cert. I assumed it was the clerk, sexton, or some such. When I got that ancestor's death cert, his (married) eldest daughter was the informant - with the same (not common) surname. I'd lost her after 1841, but those two appearances helped me piece together not only a chunk of her life and family, but I also found her with her widowed sister on one census (and I'd lost her as well), so I was able to piece together a chunk on that sister as well.

Christine

Comment

Christine

Yes - I lost my 3 x GGM after 1861 and assumed she had died. Fruitlessly looked for her death between 1861 and 1871, no joy.

Gave up on her and decided to look for her daughters to see what they were up to. I knew the daughter was single in 1868, so punted a few marriages - and lo and behold, there was my WICKED old 3 x GGM, a widow, living with her married daughter.

She had gained 17 years in age since the previous census (explaining why I couldn't find her birth) and moved counties and changed her place of birth. But it was her alright because, in the occupation column, she has put "widow of blacksmith".

I do wonder what made her suddenly decide to tell the truth about her age after 40 years of lying about it! She was in fact ten years older than her husband, not three.

(Oh, and next door is her married son - I had lost him too because he couldn't spell his own name)

OC

Comment

Like the other current thread, having people appear at a variety of port towns suggests a merchant marine or naval connection.

I have a family of gunsmiths who shuttle between Birmingham and Enfield, with children born along the way.
                                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                                  It would have to be the enumerator misreading his own handwriting. The image is very clear.

Christine
                                  You're assuming that an enumerator wrote the original. I have seen so many errors on censuses that can only be explained by enumerators mistranscribing the householder's information.

Josiah appears to have worked his way across the country as a railway navvy, though he may have intended to join a sister who was in service.

When he died, it looks as if first name, second name and age are all incorrect, suggesting that whoever recorded the details didn't know him very well.

The only possible way he could genuinely be a nephew is if his maternal grandmother was widowed, moved away from the area and remarried.

Comment

Working...
                                  X