Born at sea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Born at sea

If someone is born at sea - what parish register would they come under?

............ Or wouldn't there be one?

This is before 1837.
    Thank you.

I think it is registered under the port of arrival after 1837.

I suppose that, if the baby was healthy, there would be no reason why the baptism couldn't take place in their home parish. If the child was sickly there may be a difference.
    Grampa Jim passed away September 2011

Comment

Thanks Grampa Jim.

I can find quite a bit info for after 1837, but not a mention of what happened before then!

Grrrrrrr:(

Comment

You have raised an interesting point though.

What if there were a Minister of Religion, either attached to, or as a passenger on the ship, who could have christened the child? Would the only entry be in the Ship's Log?

Maybe one of our Site Brainiacs may have the answer.
        Grampa Jim passed away September 2011

Comment

*waits patiently for a Site Brainiac or two to come along*

Comment

I'm pretty sure there are entries for before 1837 on the Overseas Indexes (available on findmypast and Family Relatives) which may well include births on board ship. I don't know if I'll have time to check it out myself just now...
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Oh, sorry, it looks as if the Marine Births Indices only start in 1837.
              KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
              (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Regimental births are recorded for before 1837.

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I did have a quick look on Findmypast, but unless I completely misunderstood, I thought the "born at seas" were only from 1854 onwards.

Plus, it isn't exactly "overseas".

I suspect the sea journey was between Channel Islands and England.

Drat and double drat!!! I bet the stupid birth is going to registered in Channel Islands.

Comment

Before 1837 the birth wouldn't have been registered, though I guess it might have been included in the Ship's Log.

Baptism would be in which ever parish the parents chose to have the child baptised (unless they didn't believe in baptism).
                    ~ with love from Little Nell~
                    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Working...
                    X