baptised twice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• baptised twice?

I know you are all going to tell me to check the actual PR's, but Norfolk is a bit far away for a drop in visit.

Here it is, I found a very useful site (though the Wiki) with Norfolk baptisms, So I had a look for my Polls and found that 2 of them have (it seems) been baptised twice, has anyone come accross this before?

Children of Samuel Poll and Mary (Davison)

Frederick Poll b.1832 bap. 04 Aug 1833 and 23 Jun 1844 (St Mary, Itteringham)
    Jane Poll b.1835 bap.20 Aug 1835 and 23 Jun 1844 (St Mary, Itteringham)
    Samuel Poll b.1840 bap 23 Jun 1844 (St Mary, Itteringham)

Thanks
    Vikki -
    Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Norfolk registers are very fond of noting private baptisms and the date the children were received into the church. The latter is often just a marginal note, by the first event, but it might be a "new broom" mopping up all the private baptisms. Or forgetfulness on the part of the parents!
    Phoenix - with charred feathers
    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Oh, so they may have been baptised privately shortly after birth and then baptised in the church.

I like the idea though of forgetful parents.......:D
      Vikki -

Comment

As the eldest child would have been about 11 at the time of the 2nd Baptism, could it actually have been a part of his Confirmation Service? I seem to remember doing something similar myself when I was C of E, although they didn't dip my brother and sister at the same time.
        Grampa Jim passed away September 2011

Comment

Sorry to be ignorant, but what is confirmation?
          Vikki -

Comment

My actual Christening was done when I was a baby, at which time they gave me my name, and was at the responsibility of my Parents.

As a wee boy I just had to do as I was told, and although I had allied myself when about 7 or 8, to the Baptist Church in Wimbledon, and been baptised as a member, when I went to live with my Dad in Bromley Common the local church was C of E to which I was directed for my Spiritual well-being, and Youth Activities. Consequently I had to go through a formal baptism by sprinkling, and a Confirmation service which accepted me as a member of the Church and Congregation, and also gave me the right to take communion. Later, as my singing voice was atrocious and no use in the Choir, the Vicar asked me to be a Server at the Altar which meant that I had to be blessed by the Bishop of Rochester, so that I could carry the insignia Cross on a stick or candle on a stick, anything on a stick as long as it looked gold, in church procession, and help the Vicar to prepare and dish out the wafers and wine.
            Grampa Jim passed away September 2011

Comment

Oh Ok, thank you Jim, I bet you looked lovely with your candle stick;)

I will make a note of possible Confirmation
              Vikki -

Comment

There are the ideas mentioned above:
                1] private baptism, followed by being received into church
                2] second (usually "provisional") baptism because no-one could remember whether or not the child had been baptised
                3] extra baptism where different denominations didn't recognise baptism from other churches (very rare now)

and there's also - as mentioned on a recent thread
                4] politically motivated multiple baptism after each move: making sure you have a right to parish relief (settlement)

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hi

I've just spent the afternoon on Freereg looking up my Everitt/Everetts and Hurts in Nottingham. I have found quite a few of them baptised twice. I decided they just couldn't remember which ones had been baptised. Some baptised twice and some not at all!!

It gets very complicated after a bit.

Lin
                  Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                    There are the ideas mentioned above:
                    1] private baptism, followed by being received into church
                    2] second (usually "provisional") baptism because no-one could remember whether or not the child had been baptised
                    3] extra baptism where different denominations didn't recognise baptism from other churches (very rare now)

and there's also - as mentioned on a recent thread
                    4] politically motivated multiple baptism after each move: making sure you have a right to parish relief (settlement)

Christine
                    I don't think 3 or 4 is likely in this case, as they were baptised at the same church.
                    Vikki -

Comment

Originally posted by Lin Fisher View Post
                      Hi

I've just spent the afternoon on Freereg looking up my Everitt/Everetts and Hurts in Nottingham. I have found quite a few of them baptised twice. I decided they just couldn't remember which ones had been baptised. Some baptised twice and some not at all!!

It gets very complicated after a bit.

Lin
                      I would go with that idea if they had had loads of children, but they only had 4 in 15 years so I would have thought they would remember
                      Vikki -

Comment

Only four children in 15 years is rather unusual...wonder if some intervening ones died unbaptised and the Vicar wagged his finger at them when they presented the youngest for baptism, and they panicked and had the others baptised again, being too cowed to state that the children had already been baptised once!

Also - any family members buried on that day? That often prompted mass baptism in a family.

OC

Comment

I do have a couple of WHITEHEADs that look like that in OH's part of the tree.

Wm Jas bap 3 Jan 1826 [C062614]
                          Wm b 23 Nov 1825 bap 28 May 1837 [C062614] - Wm Henry [Roy GR 92671]

Ann Sarah bap 21 Nov 1828 [C062614]
                          Ann b 29 Aug 1828 bap 28 May 1837 [C062614]

Their sister, Caroline, who's OH's ancestor:
                          bap 12 Jan 1834 St Mary's Portsea, father = seaman [C062614; PR p2#9]

So I've seen the (fiche) parish register entry for Caroline - but didn't have time to look the other ones out. I reckon that looks more like not remembering the original events.

Christine
                          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I have wondered about other children

They married in 1822, their first (known) child was baptised 1829 (not in Itteringham)
                            number 2 born 1832, number 3 born 1835 and number 4 born 1840

Oooops just done my maths, 18 years from marriage to last child.

I really would need a RO visit to check out the possibility of unbaptised childrens burials, but there is also the possibilty that she had trouble concieving in which case she did well to have 4, or she may have had problems carrying full term in which case there would be no burials either (it think thats right)

I am just going through FreeReg to see if it throws anything up.

EDIT - Ok, thats it, i've had enough, my eyes have gone squiffy I'm off to bed, see you tomorrow
                            Last edited by vikki brace; 16-01-08, 21:51.
                            Vikki -

Comment

Working...
                            X