What do i ask for? (gloucestershire)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do i ask for? (gloucestershire)

Hi i am struggling to move any further back with my Hattons and i believe if i find the father to my Joseph Hatton and his siblings it could open the tree up lots. I am going to ring the Gloucestershire records office or is it llibrary that i need to ring to get a look up done. If i do ring them what records o i need to ask them to look at for me? I went to my local library today and they said they can loan things from other llibrarys but don't know if they will loan things out from Gloucestershire so i have to find that out as well as my library weren't going to help me much!!! Apart from ringing them to do the lookup has anyone any other ideas of what i can do please.
    I am looking for Joseph Hatton born 1797 in Cheltenham who married a lady called Elizabeth i am not sure when they married as can't find anything for them.

Many thanks
    Sorry if i have waffled and you don't understand me.
    Jen

Hi Jennie
    Gloucester FHs offer a very good search service for only a few pounds
    GFHS Search Services
    They trawled through baptisms for me and I didn't give much more info than you have!
    Sue

Comment

Thankyou Sue just been looking and they don't seem to go back as far as i need to. I will send them an email i think and see what they say.
      Thankyou.
      Jen

Comment

Sorry had a brain freeze surely the marriage would be there so they could see from the marriage who his parents were. Will email them now and see if they can do births before the date they show.
        Jen

Comment

....I think I've lost track of what you're actually looking for now but good luck any way lol!
          Sue

Comment

Sorry Sue i am trying to go back on Joseph born 1797. I know the lady he married or her first name so if i can't get his baptism or any record of his birth then would his marriage still have his parents details on even though there wouldn't be a certificate for it?.
            Just got to go out but will be back later.
            Thanks
            Jen

Comment

a marriage this early probably won't have parents details on it.

It should give you an age (though that may be just minor/full age), spinster/bachelor or widow, parish of current residence.

The witnesses may be of relevance if they're family but it won't tell you if they are family or not it will just give you their names.
              Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

i have a sarah ann hatton married fredrick holder in 1880 parents were samuel hatton got to check the mother look at my hattons on the gedcom brenda xxxfredrick was born in gloucester and sarah had been married before.they were married in potefract.brenda xxx
                Last edited by Guest; 16-01-08, 13:19.

Comment

Jen,

I'll pm you with info from my cd.
                  ~ Louise ~

Researching Dalzell, Highmore & Sumpton in Cumbria, also Braidford & Chevalier

Comment

Jen,

just out of interest where is Joseph Hatton on any of the census...I can't seem to find one thats born Cheltenham ~1797
                    ~ Louise ~

Comment

Thankyou everyone. Got your Pm Louise and going to have a good look through it in a moment.
                      Brenda i don't havbe many Hattons at the moment but have made a note of your Hattons.
                      Thankyou again.
                      Jen

Comment

Originally posted by Meridian Line View Post
                        Jen,

just out of interest where is Joseph Hatton on any of the census...I can't seem to find one thats born Cheltenham ~1797
                        Jen can you tell us which census he is on as I can't find him either.
                        Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Wendy,

Jen's told me his name is actually Joshua Hatton...(I'd found his marriage).

He's on class; HO107
                          piece 353
                          Book 8

in 1841, in Cheltenham, b 1797.....but NOT born Glos.!
                          ~ Louise ~

Comment

Yes i just found a Joshua and wondered if she had put the wrong name.

Can't find any of them after 1841. Perhaps they emigrated.
                            Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Wendy,
                              they're mis-transcribed! I've corrected a couple...they all seem to be very musical!!
                              ~ Louise ~

Comment

Sorry Wendy i typed the name wrong. They are a very musical family Louise and they are still very musical even now which i think helps to make this line very interesting to research.
                                Jen

Comment

Working...
                                X