Mobility in 1820's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mobility in 1820's?

I have a Thomas Piercy b Shoreditch 1784 m to Mary Bunney in Stepney, Middx 1808. All their children up to 1823 were born in Shoreditch, Middx. In 1826 I've found a baptism in Foleshill, Coventry for a child born to Thomas Piercy (same occ.) and Mary (nee Bunney) In 1831 there's another child baptised in Shoreditch.

Question is how likely was a poor family to move from London to Coventry in 1820's and back again? Or is it possible that they are two different couples? I can't find another marriage...
    Sue

Families are less likely to move than single people, but if there is work, you follow it.

What was Thomas's trade?

I certainly have families going from Salisbury to Manchester & back again in that period.

Pre railways, there would be canals & carriers to get you round the country, as well as going on the tramp, and you probably didn't have that many possessions to take with you.
    Phoenix - with charred feathers
    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Thomas was a weaver and at that time weaving was a big industry in both areas. Bunney seems to be Warwickshire name I'm wondering if Mary or her family came from there originally....
      Sue

Comment

Just from a baptism you don't know it was the whole family that moved though.

It could just be that Mary was there for some reason, possibly a family connection like you say, and the child was born and baptised there.
        Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

I hadn't thought of that Zoe! However, on the Coventry baptism record (its a Wesleyean Chapel one from BMDregisters) Thomas's occ is shown as Ribbon Weaver which is apparently what that area is famous for (think of Cash's name tapes!) whereas in Shoreditch/Spitalfields he's called a Silk Weaver and that's what made me think that he was there too. Still I suppose if the registrar(?) was told that the father was a weaver he could have just put Ribbon Weaver out of habit!! Oh who knows! I think I'm fairly safe in saying its the same family don't you?
          Just wish I could find out for sure if Mary was born in Shoreditch or Coventry...
          Sue

Comment

I was astonished to find a lone baptism miles from where the family had lived for centuries.

Daddy was a weaver. After a lot of digging, I discovered that one of the main mill owners in his home town, had started a factory in another county - and (I am guessing) sent his best weavers there for a while, to show the locals how to do it!

OC

Comment

What happened to the child born in Coventry?

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                I was astonished to find a lone baptism miles from where the family had lived for centuries.

Daddy was a weaver. After a lot of digging, I discovered that one of the main mill owners in his home town, had started a factory in another county - and (I am guessing) sent his best weavers there for a while, to show the locals how to do it!

OC
                Obviously I don't know for sure OC but I've always thought that my Spitalfields weavers worked out of their own homes or in sweat shops which I think was the norm there ... I'm gradually coming round to the idea that there was a family connection in Coventry in the same trade and they thought they'd try their luck there. But from the descriptions of Spitalfields at the time I can't imagine why they went back unless Coventry was even worse (no direspect to Coventry of course!)

Merry - I'm not sure what happened to William. There's a possible living alone in Aldersagte in 1841 but I can't see him in 1851 but I haven't looked very hard yet. The rest of the family are all proving equally elusive :(
                Sue

Comment

Working...
                X