Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sudden brainwave!?

Evenin all,

for anyone who hasn't heard me waffling on about it yet, I keep trying to either prove or disprove that my grandad Francis Smith was married before he met my nan & had 3 children whom my mum never met.

I have a copy of the marriage certificate of a Francis Smith & Mary Bryant at St Mary's Parish church Hoxton on 15/7/1906. Would there be a document somewhere with his signature on,& if so, how would I get to see it? If so, I could show it to Mum & see whether she recognises the signature. IS this a cunning plan, or another blind alley?

Anything he had to apply for, or join up to, is likely to have called for a signature. As would a Will.

I had a (transcription) copy of my (1911) grandparents' marriage cert, (Sandwell kindly sent me a photocopy of the actual signatures when I explained why I wanted it :D) and I was able to use it to match with the (1936) application by my grandfather for a USA social security number.
    In 25 years, the shape of his signature had hardly changed - except that he'd acquired a middle name.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I think you would need the London Metropolitan Archives for Hoxton. If the church is in Britannia Walk, Hackney they have registers of banns and marriages there.

City of London - Family research - London generations

The LMA is shut until 21st January

Jackie
      Jackie

Comment

Brilliant tips, folks! Thanks for your help. He never actually married my nan, which makes a previous marriage more plausible, but there may be another of the documents you mentioned in existence with his signature on.

Comment

Working...
        X