Original signatures on certs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Original signatures on certs

Hounslow Register Office does not do scans of original birth certificates. Am I correct in thinking that I have no other way/place of seeing the original signature of the informant?

Mary Ann Green gave her father's details as Edwin, plumber. I think he was Edward, painter but am struggling to find any confirmation of this. An Eliza Green was a witness at Mary Ann's wedding and the Eliza Green, or her sister Louise, father Edward Green, painter, later had an illegitimate child Percy. If Eliza was the informant of Percy's birth, I could compare the signature with the Eliza on Mary's wedding cert. This seems to be my last hope!
    Gillian
    User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Hi Gillian,

I hope you dont mind me asking but I have just read your message and note that you mention Hounslow Register Office. I am trying to trace a birth record for my gt.grandfather William Piggott born 1794 who was born in Hounslow. Do you have a contact phone number or email address for them please?

Apologies for being a nuisance
    regards
    jacquei

Comment

Originally posted by jacquei essex View Post
      Hi Gillian,

I hope you dont mind me asking but I have just read your message and note that you mention Hounslow Register Office. I am trying to trace a birth record for my gt.grandfather William Piggott born 1794 who was born in Hounslow. Do you have a contact phone number or email address for them please?

Apologies for being a nuisance
      regards
      jacquei
      try this page in the wiki

Comment

Hi jacquei
        Their phone number is 020 8583 2090.
        However, they won't have details of any births prior to the start of civil registration in 1837. You would need church registers from the Record Office covering Hounslow for earlier births. I'm afraid i don't know which one covers Hounslow offhand.
        Gillian

Comment

Gillian, as far as I know, there is no other way of seeing the informant's signature, sorry.
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thankyou Margaret and Gillian,

I will try that link Margaret and thanks for phone number Gillian, I suppose I need a list of churches for Hounslow now, oh well must keep trying.

Thanks again
            jacquei

Comment

Thanks Kate. That's what I thought :(
              Well, it was worth a try!
              Gillian

Comment

I had a similar problem with a certificate from Oldham...Taylor is a common name and it showed is ocupation as a Potter, there where no potteries in Oldham and my relatives occupation was a Hatter............I queried this with Oldham and they sent me a photocopy of the part of the original which clearly showed Potter.........may be they will photocopy any part that you query

Comment

I managed to get a tracing of a signature from a local office who wouldn't photocopy the cert. Not sure a London office would be so obliging, but you can only ask.

Comment

Colin and Merry - thank you. The woman at Hounslow was very pleasant when I phoned this morning but apparently the Brentford registers, which were what I was interested in, have been divided between several Register Offices and, although they would do a search and forward my written request to another Register Office if appropriate, they would not scan/photocopy under any circumstances. I did use my most pitiful voice and explain why I wanted the original signature!

Merry - I tried unsuccessfully to find your piece from way back about which certs bore original signatures. I thought it had been transferred to the wiki but presume I must have been entering the wrong search terms.
                    Gillian

Comment

Did you suggest a tracing?

Comment

I didn't think of a tracing at the time, but she was so adamant that they would only provide a certificate by the usual method or not at all that I somehow don't think it would be worth even ringing again to ask. Understandable I suppose - Hounslow must be a busy office.

If only her surname hadn't been Green! If only her elusive brothers hadn't had common forenames! If only her father hadn't died young! If only they hadn't lived in Middlesex! If only ......
                        Gillian

Comment

Originally posted by jacquei essex View Post
                          I am trying to trace a birth record for my gt.grandfather William Piggott born 1794 who was born in Hounslow. Do you have a contact phone number or email address for them please?

I wonder whether Hounslow Library might be able to help .... they have a local history section and were very helpful a couple of years ago when I contacted them .... this is the phone no. I have for the local history section ... 0845 456 2891

Main no. for library 0845 456 2800

address .... 24 Treaty Centre, High St., Hounslow, TW3 1ES

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

It's unfortunate.

Sandwell was very helpful when I was after a copy of a Marriage cert. I'd already bought a formal cert, but it was a transcribed one. The Marriage had been at the Register Office, so there weren't any parish registers I could look out for. I wanted to be able to compare the groom's signature with the signature of the applicant for a US social security number. They were very apologetic that they couldn't supply a photocopy cert, because, unlike some other offices, they don't have the facilities to do so... but they did attach a photocopy of just the signatures to the bottom of the letter. (It was a pretty good match to prove my theory.)

Christine
                            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Genuki says (about Brentford registers):

Registers now divided between Hounslow, Ealing and Richmond upon Thames districts.

So, what you need to do is contact one of the other two offices (two more bites at the cherry, as it were!! lol), firstly to try and establish which of them holds the Brentford records for the date and type (ie B, M or D) you need and secondly to try your pitiful voice again! (fingers crossed it isn't Hounslow and hopefully is Richmond upon Thames, because I've contacted them before and they were helpful.)

The Register Office,
                              Ealing Town Hall,
                              New Broadway,
                              Ealing,
                              London, W5 2BY.
                              Tel: 020 8758 7171 (general) or 020 8825 7272 (certificate applications).

The Register Office,
                              1 Spring Terrace,
                              Richmond,
                              Surrey, TW9 1LW.
                              Tel: 020 8940 2853 or 020 8940 2651. Fax: 020 8940 8226.
                              E-mail: registeroffice@richmond.gov.uk

Comment

Christine - that's encouraging! Perhaps if I wrote an explanatory letter, attaching a copy Eliza's signature from the LMA photocopy of the marriage register and enclosing a £7.00 cheque, they might just be feeling generous that day.

Merry - Hounslow won't look to confirm whether it is one of the registers they hold until they have received a written application and the cheque and s.a.e, but that's a good idea to try the other two. They may be able to offer a way round the rule, or have a diferent policy if they are the register holders. Thanks for the contact details.

Of course, I'll be absolutely floored if I finally get to see the informant's signature and it turns out to be sister Louisa or even the mother Sarah!
                                Gillian

Comment

Or just an X!

Comment

Originally posted by Just Gillian View Post
                                    Hounslow Register Office does not do scans of original birth certificates. Am I correct in thinking that I have no other way/place of seeing the original signature of the informant?

Mary Ann Green gave her father's details as Edwin, plumber. I think he was Edward, painter but am struggling to find any confirmation of this. An Eliza Green was a witness at Mary Ann's wedding and the Eliza Green, or her sister Louise, father Edward Green, painter, later had an illegitimate child Percy. If Eliza was the informant of Percy's birth, I could compare the signature with the Eliza on Mary's wedding cert. This seems to be my last hope!

Could you go to the records office and look at the parish register there? or contact the records office to ask if they have the parish register?
                                    Joy

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                                      Or just an X!
                                      :D:D:D
                                      Gillian

Comment

Working...
                                      X