Can you help me read this please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you help me read this please?

On the 1871 census RG 10 698 I have searched for Thomas Poole age 36 together with his wife Elizabeth and his children of which there are four.

However, I cannot read their names, the first one is I think Jessey and the last one is Helen but who knows what the two in the middle are.

Can you read these please?

Thanks
    Gill

I make the second one Annie.
    Will have another look at the third.
    Gillian
    User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

The girls look like Jessey, Annie and Helen. The boy's name has me stumped as that first initial could be anything, but it looks like the name ends -am.
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Abram (as in Abraham before he was called Abraham) - 5

Helen - 3

that's my guess (or, rather, I'll be astonished if it isn't)
        Christine
        Last edited by Christine in Herts; 14-01-08, 19:16.
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

And the youngest is Maurice, aged 1 - as transcribed.

and I agree about Annie - 8
          Last edited by Christine in Herts; 14-01-08, 19:16.
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Well done Christine!
            It's amazing how clear Abram is once someone else has told me lol
            Gillian
            User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

Well I saw it had been transcribed as Avram (which is a recognised variant - b & v being phonetically very similar), so I was expecting it.

I was wondering whether there were any Jewish connections?... these names (Abr(ah)am, Maurice) crop up in the Jewish part of my niece's tree a lot.

Comment

Birth registration?

Births Mar 1866
                Poole Abraham Romford 4a 108

Comment

Just looked back at the transcription - Annie doesn't appear at all!

Gill D - you did see Maurice, the fifth child, on the next page?

Christine

Comment

Births Jun 1868
                    POOLE Helen Romford 4a 116

Comment

Births 1870 q2
                      POOLE Maurice - Wandsworth 1d-506

Comment

There are some other possible Wandsworth births - and accompanying young deaths.

Christine

Comment

Hi all - I posted the message and went and had dinner and I think you have answered all of the issues, well done!

As far as I am aware there are no jewish connections - this is my husband's family. Maurice, the additional child on the second page is in fact my husband's great grandfather and is named Horace Maurice but seems to be known as Maurice!

Thanks to you all I can continue my search.

Regards
                          Gill

Comment

Who would want to be called Horace Maurice?
                            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Uncle John - Probably no one, but it helps me out on the recognition point - there are several Maurices and Thomas' so its a means of identification.

Christine - You mention births in Wandsworth - thats interesting as they state they were born in Dagenham on the census but perhaps thats common to have the wrong place of birth?

Comment

Originally posted by Gill D View Post
                                Christine - You mention births in Wandsworth - thats interesting as they state they were born in Dagenham on the census but perhaps thats common to have the wrong place of birth?
                                It says Maurice was born in Clapham - Wandsworth - so could have had siblings born there too - there's enough gap in the ages, I think? They may not all have survived - hence my reference to the young deaths.

Christine

Comment

Working...
                                X