GOOGLE MAIL receiving mails query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GOOGLE MAIL receiving mails query

Thanks to Bob's advice, I have set up a Google Mail e mail account to link in with my 3 tiscali e mail addresses.

Set up sending from these 3 okay but when setting up to receive from them keep getting message:

'There was a problem connecting to pop.tiscali.co.uk'

I have connected okay and gone into each account. If I do manage to set this up, will this be a problem?

Also do I use the same password I have on tiscali for each of the 3 addresses to set them up in Google or different ones?

Nearly there. Many thanks.

Liz
    Liz

It might be temporary. Blueyonder had problems last night. Your password is the one for Tiscali mail. Click any boxes to remember and save it.
    When you the log on it will check them all.
    If you go into "accounts" the account will be red if there has been a problem. You can force a check as well.
    Bob
    I am never wrong. I once thought I was wrong but I was wrong.

Comment

Thanks Bob - I was hoping you were around. Thought it was strange on the occasions I have tried to get this organised on Google mail, it couldn't connect yet I was able to connect okay at the same time to tiscali pop.

Of course, it would help if I really had a good understanding of it all. Getting there.

Bye for now...and many thanks. Liz
      Liz

Comment

No problem Liz. Let us know how it's working with the spam.
        Bob

Comment

Good morning Bob. Managed to get one of my e mail adds on the receiving section but getting this error still for the other 2: Server returned error: "Protocol error"

I realised I wasn't scrolling down to Pop 3 in the settings for receiving and that seemed to work just for the one addd. Will it receive automatically from the secondary e mail add I set up my google e mail account with?

Spam filter is good. Looking forward to getting it all set up. Thanks again. Liz
          Liz

Comment

Do you mean you have enabled POP for all mail ? That's Ok.
            Are they all Tiscali accounts ?
            All you really need is the address & password. check that it has got the right server (pop.tiscali etc, mine is a lineone address).
            Bob

Comment

Hello Bob can you trell me how to turn off windows mail if keeps interfering with my incredimail and + I dont like it ;;;please
              borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Liz, Take a look at the title below I think it was on page 5 (21st Nov BY JOHN-NIHON. It is excellent you cannot go wrong, I managed it in the end.

Configuring Windows Mail to use with your Gmail email accounts.
                Margaret N
                DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

Thanks all...a friend has told me that budget servers like Tiscali don't always allow Google etc to collect their mail...will carry on perservering...

Liz
                  Liz

Comment

Hi Liz

I'm a little confused as to what exactly you are trying to achieve, hence a few questions:
                    • Do you have Tiscali and Google email addresses (for example: liz@tiscali.co.uk or liz@googlemail.com)?
                    • Do you want the emails from your Tiscali and Google email addresses (for example: liz@tiscali.co.uk or liz@googlemail.com) to be downloaded to an email client (for example: Outlook, Thunderbird, Windows Mail or Incredimail, etc) on your computer?
                    • Have you configured exactly the same email addresses (for example: liz@tiscali.co.ukor liz@googlemail.comin both, your Incredimail and Windows Mail email clients on your PC? If you have then only one of the email clients on your PC will actually receive the emails.
                    • Where are you getting stuck at the moment?
                    It is possible to download emails from your Tiscali or/and Googlemail email addresses to your computer if that is what you want.

Configuration Setting Notes:

For Tiscali:
                    The Incoming email server (POP3) is: pop.tiscali.co.uk
                    The Incoming email server (POP3) Port Number is: 110

and

The Outgoing email server (SMTP) is: smtp.tiscali.co.uk
                    The Outgoing email server (SMTP) Port Number is: 25

For Googlemail:

The Incoming email server (POP3) is: pop.googlemail.com
                    The Incoming email server (POP3) Port Number is: 995

and

The Outgoing email server (SMTP) is: smtp.googlemail.com
                    The Outgoing email server (SMTP) Port Number is: 465
                    Last edited by KiteRunner; 16-01-08, 07:18.

Comment

John, if you wonder what I was editing your post for, it was to make sure that the example email addresses mentioned in it were not treated as actual clickable email addresses by VBulletin - just in case there is somebody with one of those addresses in real life!
                      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thank you :D

Comment

Liz I have no problem at all with the lineone emails which are now part of Tiscali so I would think they should either allow it or not.

John, the original problem was spam. The option to receive them via Gmail was to make use of their excellent spam filters.

Bob

Comment

Hi Bob, Thanks, I understand now.

Comment

Can anyone tell me how to turn windows mail off , I have deleted both accounts I had on it but if I click on e-mail addy it opens in windows instead of my incredimail like it used to ???

Comment

Hi Babs

This link may help:

http://www.freeemailtutorials.com/microsoftWindows/setDefaultEmailClientOnWindowsVista.cwd

Comment

Thanks John will go have a look at it ;;

Comment

John have done what it says in there but when I click on the link to test which is my default mail windows still opens up ,,,wish I had never started to use it prefare my incredimail ;;;

Comment

Hi Babs

Can you just check something.

On step (2) of the instructions can you do the following:

Select "Windows Mail" from the list.

Then select the "Choose defaults for this program".

Is the "MAILTO" box ticked?

Press the <Cancel> button.

Now from the list select "Incredimail"

Then select the "Choose defaults for this program" again.

Is the "MAILTO" box ticked?

Press the <Cancel> button and close the box.

Comment

I have followed that as far as the cancel but when it comes to incredimail its not listed in the list for me to pick

Comment

Working...
                                        X