Just a small tip for you

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just a small tip for you

I have my research in 3 Lever Arch files and these are divided into the different names and then different sections for different things ie census, photos, etc.

Yesterday I was looking through one of the files at a particular surname, because I recently found a new connection, and noted that the 3 recently (before christmas) received death certificates were no where to be seen.

Anyway I searched my unfiled stuff and still couldnt find them despite finding the GRO summary sheets that proved I had got them somewhere.

I then searched my 3 files and found them in the section for the surname of the wife of the man whose section they should have been in.

I am now very relieved and I will be sharing them with my new contact.
    Fi, aka Wheelie Spice

Why not learn British Sign Language: BritishSignLanguage.com; An Online Guide to British Sign Language

I copy my marriage certs and put a copy in each folder... in my opinion you can't have too many copies!

Comment

I often find I can't find something because its been filed under a maiden name or a second married name. But sadly, I sometimes find I'm looking in the wrong section of the file altogether!
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I file all my BMD certificates together in Birth, Marriage and Death order and then in date order. They are all kept together in one file.
        Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

I keep all my certs in one folder, separated into Birth, Baptism, marriage, death, burials. And then at the begining of each section I have a list of whats in there.

If I started putting certs with families i'd never find them again
          Vikki -
          Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Comment

I really need to get my research a bit better organised - I've got some stuff on paper, some on Ancestry, some on GR and some on FTM, and not all the separate sets are identical. At least I know where all my certificates are, since I just keep one folder with those on my dad's side and one with my mum's.
            Michael, aged 1/4 of a century

Comment

I've just started scanning my certificates.
              I got to thinking over Christmas - my husband collects fairly expensive model cars - well over £100 a piece. He has 10 of them in a display case on the wall. If that fell off, that's approx £1200 to replace them.
              Then I thought about my certificates - I'm probably approaching 200 with them. £1400 to replace them.
              Hence I'm scanning them and I might put them onto a disc as well when I've fiinished.

I keep them in separate Birth, death & marriage folders in alphabetical order by family, and then generational. In the deaths - I put husbands & wives back to back, so I can easily see if I'm missing one half. (Unless I've filed in a pile of paper of course.)
              Helen

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...enSmithToo-296

Comment

Files, what files?
                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

After researching over 20 years I have loads of certs, full set of all direct line whenever possible. Daren't think of the cost but I know that no insurance company would believe me.

My certs are in 2 lever arch files in a fire proof safe.

Comment

Ooh crikey, 200? I've only got... *goes off to count* 15 of mine plus one dud when I picked the wrong reference, so just over £100. Plus two wills which were £5 each (for some reason those were the only two relatives I could find in the probate indexes). Being an impoverished student I usually only order a certificate if I'm pretty certain it's going to take me a step further back (marriage cert for the fathers' names, birth cert for the mother's maiden name); in cases where I already know the names I make a note of the GRO reference and tell myself I might order it sometime. Then again I've been researching for three years rather than 20.
                    Michael, aged 1/4 of a century

Comment

I'm with Uncle John ... what files?

I have a six-drawer dresser and certs go mostly into one drawer, unless they're buried in the mess around my computer.

There ... confession is good for the soul.

Tim
                      "If we're lucky, one day our names and dates will appear in our descendants' family trees."

Comment

Please note
                        if you ever move it on to a data stick do NOT give it your hubby

LOL

Laura
                        still trying to put hers back together

Comment

Starting off with OH I have 2 lever arch folders following the male and female lines.

Into each I put a fan chart and a numbered index sheet Each couple have their own section number in generation order where I put their birth, deaths and marriages certificates and anything else relevant including other childrens certificates/info if not direct line who have their own number.

I have now separated the Census info into a Census folder separated into census's - most recent 1901 at front and 1841 at rear and all entries alphabetical in each census slot.

Finally have Consolidation folder where I've put a fan chart, summary sheet in generation order of each couple showing their name date and place of birth, marriage, death highlighted if I have the certificate and source GRO/IGI etc

Behind that I have the Family Group Sheets on the back of which I've printed a form to include all addresses that each has lived at ie census, addresses of other events, birth, marriage, death and other events ie childs birth, marriage, death etc. So this gives everything I know about the couple including name and address of church and their marriage witnesses.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Originally posted by Laura the Explorer View Post
                            Please note
                            if you ever move it on to a data stick do NOT give it your hubby

What is a data stick?
                            Joy

Comment

3 lever arch files??!!

I can vaguely remember those heady days! About 8 leverarches (they breed like rabbits!) umpteen project files, carrier bags, memory sticks, floppy disks, piles of paper, envelopes with scribble on and something in excess of 30 notebooks (if I could actually corall them all into one place at the same time.

Was trying to pass on details to a new contact. The notes I remembered as pencil, in a cousin's hand were biro, in my hand - which was why it took several sweeps of leveraches & project files to find them. A baptism which I thought must be guesswork, was tucked away in an old notebook, languishing by itself.

And don't even mention correspondence. The odd twenty year old letter that provides the solution to a problem you didn't know about when you received it!
                              Phoenix - with charred feathers
                              Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Ah yes, Phoenix - the problems we don't know are going to come up. Those answers are lying there somewhere waiting to solve them. Why can't we remember everything we are told even if it seems useless at the time! :D

Anne

Comment

hi
                                  it is a usb/memory stick abit like those cheap mp3 players not very big can plug them into your comp and download stuff onto for (ha ) safe keeping you can get in 1 or 2gb or smaller if you need memory

Laura

Comment

Originally posted by Laura the Explorer View Post
                                    hi
                                    it is a usb/memory stick abit like those cheap mp3 players not very big can plug them into your comp and download stuff onto for (ha ) safe keeping you can get in 1 or 2gb or smaller if you need memory
                                    Laura

Think I'll go and put the kettle on
                                    Joy

Comment

Joy

It's about the size of a cigarette lighter and you can clip it to a key ring etc, so that you can carry it around with you, to use anywhere there is a computer.

I have one but haven't used it yet, cos I can't decide what to put on it! Probably my FTM if ever get round to to filling in the FTM in the first place!

Small and portable = easily lost, of course....

OC

Comment

Data sticks etc good for putting old photos on if your computer goes slow as mine did clogged it up!-take them about with you too and show your rels -if they have a computer of course!

Comment

Working...
                                        X